WD My Passport 1TB keeps disconnecting on USB3.0

My WD My Passport 1TB has suddenly started doing this, it’ll keep disconnecting randomly and will never reconnect. I have to manually disconnect the cable and reconnect for it to show up and even then it disconnects after a while. Its a USB 3.0 drive and I have it connected to a USB 3.0 port on my PC.

I have tried everything including swapping cables but after reading a Community Support Article (https://community.wdc.com/t/wd-my-passport-1tb-usb-3-0-keeps-randomly-disconnecting-and-reconnecting-itself/3452/6) in which a guy had the same problem but he connected to a USB 2.0 port and things worked fine so I tried the same and viola my HDD is working exactly like it should apart from the hit in read/write speeds.

He said he fixed it by downloading older USB 3.0 drivers but I don’t understand why this is suddenly happening now. I have had this drive for at least a couple of years and never had a problem with it. I’m using Intel eXtensible USB 3.0 drivers and I have a Gigabyte Z97M-D3H board.

This is my 3rd WD hdd that has developed random problems, this much is a fact that I am never buying WD products again.

Hello, welcome to the community.

It seems that the latest drivers update for your USB 3.0 port might be causing this. If you go to this link you will go to Gygabyte download page for your MOBO, can you try a previous set of drivers? There’s also a few hot fixes that allow for improved compatibility.

There are no drivers for USB 3.0 available from Gigabyte and besides I have not updated my USB drivers since I installed Windows 10.

I just want to know if the Intel eXtensible driver for USB 3.0 is compatible with this HDD or not because I have 3 other externals from other brands and so far they happen to be working just fine. Is this something WD knows that there is a driver conflict with Intel USB 3.0 drivers?