WD My Cloud won't recognize USB Drive

some times (I don’t know why) if u connect one external USB disk sea@ate this will fail, Mycloud cant see this sea@ate disk… but if u connect another disk (ex. fujit5u or any other brand) this will work.

I tried to connect a US today and the led turned red. When I removed the USB the led turned blue.

U need to format the mybook as NTFS FILE SYSTEM
Connect Mybook to ur windows pc
Go to:
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools

Open “Computer Management”

Under Storage u will see “Disk Management”
U should see ur MyBook here, Right click on the disk and select format and select NTFS when asked
Once format is completed, right click on the drive again and Select change drive letter and assign a letter say Y

Now disconnect the drive from PC and connect to Mycloud, it may take some time to recognize the drive but it should work.

In case you do not see the FORMAT option as mentioned above
make sure u dont have any partition made in ur mybook

Good luck!

I had the same issue. You’ll need to format the WD External HDD to use NTFS instead of exFAT. If you don’t know how to do this, you can find the guide from WD here: Instructions to Format a Drive for Use with Windows or macOS
Keep in mind, you’ll lose any existing data on the External HDD so back it up first before you format.
After you convert the file system to use NTFS, I had to power cycle my NAS in order for it to be detected. You can tell if it is by logging into the Cloud page and checking the USB devices up top and seeing if it’s recognized.

1 Like

My fix was simple, 0kb, left it plugged in for 5-10 minutes and it became normal.

Problem is simple, you need more power, so upgrade you 12V 1.5A power supply to 12V 2.0A and the USB 3.0 port will get enough power to fire up the SSD. Its the same reason some external HDD’s don’t fire up on the notebook, because the USB 3.0 port isn’t supplying enough power, nothing to do with drivers. (This worked for me, if the WD team would run some tests to see if this is the reason)

2 Likes

so what’s the final solution? Use NTFS instead of ExFAT? I have an Asustor NAS and it just let me format it as Ext4, and was working fine afterwards. Right now I only have a Macbook, so how am I going to format it as NTFS?

When I went to Utilities and tried to reformat it, the app doesn’t even seem to recognize the drive, to let me reformat it… what kind of software is that?

For the single bay/single drive My Cloud the “solution” has always been to use; NTFS, or HFS+, or FAT32 format on the USB hard drive. That’s what USB hard drive formats are recognized by the single bay/single drive My Cloud units. See the following WD Knowledgebase Support Article or see the User Manual for the My Cloud device.

If you don’t have access to a PC then you have some options with respect to the Mac.

https://hubmanual.com/use-ntfs-drives-on-mac/

https://www.howtogeek.com/236055/HOW-TO-WRITE-TO-NTFS-DRIVES-ON-A-MAC/

So you are saying when I do “Erase” on a Mac for that drive, using

Mac OS Extended (Journaled) should work…

I thought at the top somebody was saying Mac’s file system didn’t work.
But I’d expect if it is AFS, then it probably won’t work because it is too new.

Any way…

Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or HFS Plus is a file system developed by Apple Inc

So Mac OS Extended (Journaled) should be HFS+ and therefore should work.

And actually. according to My Cloud: External USB Drive Supported File Systems
since my firmware is up to 2.31.xxx, so then ExFAT should work too.

What specific My Cloud model do you have? Note the * next to the checkmarks for model names that support ExFAT. That is for the two Note entries on the ExFAT under the chart. THat indicates that for those models that support ExFAT you need to be running firmware 2.21.111 or higher. You can give ExFAT a try on the single bay model but don’t be surprised it’s not supported (doesn’t work/mount) since the chart indicates ExFAT isn’t supported on the single bay/single drive models.

I have the EX2100 so it should be good. But I remember a shortcoming of ExFAT, and googled the max file size… yup, it is 4GB max… so I tried HFS+ from a Mac and it seems to work fine now so far…

It worked for me! I have an external WD Passport 4 TB and the 2 EX Ultra didn’t see it. I created a folder wd_tv on it and the folder inside and it worked, now I can copy it to the EX Ultra.

is there a list of codes that will at least let us know if we are in the ballpark of all these issues. If you noticed on your dashboard there is a notification icon, if you click on it, it will say USB failure, If you click the little arrow in the bottom right corner of the notification (NOTE: TRASH CAN is on the other side of the notification) it will open a window that wil tell you what is wrong,… to some degree.

Unable to Mount USB Device
Unable to mount the USB device (vendor: Western_Digital, model: My_Passport_25E2, serial number: WX21D87KTRSL). Please check the USB device.
Tuesday, 2022 September 06, 20:11:10
Code:1124

My Cloud: Alert Codes, Descriptions, LED Status and Email Notifications
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/17203

Unfortunately that Knowledge Base article isn’t going to provide much information or offer solutions.

For OS3 firmware there are a few troubleshooting steps one can take if their USB drive doesn’t mount or isn’t seen by the OS3 firmware.

• Format the USB hard drive in a My Cloud supported USB format; generally use NTFS, HFS+ or FAT32. The exFAT support is limited to certain multi bay My Cloud models running specific firmware versions.
  • Connect the USB drive to a computer and remove all existing partitions (backup user data first if needed), then create a single partition and format it in one of the supported formats previously mentioned.
  • If the USB drive supports encryption make sure it is disabled or turned off prior to attaching it to a My Cloud device.
  • Try a different USB hard drive.

I changed the power supply, and it worked for me. Thanks for your valuable experience sharing.