WD My Cloud v3.x, v4.x and v2.x Firmware Versions Download Links

Yes it’s confusing isn’t it? Its something many of us pointed out would happen when WD made the decision’s they made to introduce the second gen My Cloud and give it different firmware than the first gen My Cloud. Made more confusing by the release of OS 3 four years ago. WD tossed in a confusing firmware numbering scheme (v4.x for first gen, v2.x for second gen) to further confuse things. Then WD doubled down on the confusion by introducing a completely different product that uses a completely different OS, My Cloud Home, that a great many confused and STILL to this day confuse with the My Cloud line of devices. Now WD goes and creates OS 5 to confuse people even more.

What is OS 3? Basically WD, back in 2016, streamlined the firmware and units to using new features including revamping the remote access website WD2Go.com to MyCloud.com. This included the loss of being able to remotely map a Share on the single bay My Cloud’s using the web portal.

In the WD announcement New Release - My Cloud OS 3 Firmware Version 2.41.116 (12/01/2020) the second gen single bay My Cloud IS mentioned. It is listed as: My Cloud (FW 2.x).

WD releases OS 5 web portal, and firmware for only certain existing My Cloud devices. The single bay/single drive My Cloud unit IS NOT supported by OS 5. This entire post discussion and all links to firmware *is strictly for the single bay/single drive My Cloud unit. If one wants to discuss OS 5 then see the specific subforum for OS 5 supported devices (https://community.wd.com/c/OS5/252).

I made the initial post to kick off this long thread as a place where all firmware for the single bay/single drive My cloud units could be found. Many people were trying to roll back to earlier firmware (for what ever reason) and couldn’t find links to that earlier firmware. The initial post evolved to having more information including links to past WD released GNU firmware files so people could find earlier versions to roll their own firmware.

It appears this is the current list of devices supported by OS 3 and by OS 5:

OS 3
My Cloud
My Cloud Mirror
My Cloud EX2
My Cloud EX3
My Cloud EX2100
My Cloud DL2100
My Cloud DL4100

OS 5
My Cloud EX2 Ultra
My cloud EX4100
My CloudPR2100
My Cloud PR4100
My Cloud Mirror (Gen 2)

On a personal note. No idea why WD continues to do things that only serve to confuse it’s customers and users. Some of decisions made (from a user standpoint) seem like someone at WD ignored or rejected basic common sense.

Edit to add: One should also note that WD retires support for devices (i.e. End of Life) and software/apps. The first gen single bay My Cloud is no longer supported. The second gen single bay My Cloud has limited support which is why it’s still getting firmware updates to fix various (security) issues. We first gen users are out of luck apparently for having any existing or newly discovered security issues fixed. It appears the OS 3 devices are at end of support or are in limited support. Eventually WD will move limited support products to end of support.