WD my cloud missing files issue w/ windows 10

I have a WD my cloud network drive 3tb. I store my music and movies and backup files on it. I just today got a new hp laptop with windows 10. When I use the WD my cloud software to view my files they all show up just fine about 600 albums. When I use the Microsoft software by going to the network drive my cloud in Microsoft file explorer only the first 200 files show up.

I really dislike the wd software and would like to just use the built in windows software if this is a fixable issue. Up till today I have been using windows 7 home and I have never had this issue with that OS.

Hello, welcome to the community.

How are you connecting to the network drive? 

When I use the Microsoft software 

What MS software is that? If we know what it is, we might be be able to help.

cpt_paranoia wrote:

When I use the Microsoft software 

What MS software is that? If we know what it is, we might be be able to help.

As I said before I use microsoft file explorer (software built into windows) . Windows 10 has a new name for, “My Computer”.  I cant remember the name of it because I renamed it to, My computer.  WD my cloud is under network. I do it this way because its much easier for me to use.

I have my cloud drive arranged by users and public.  I keep music and videos under public.  I view the files by folder.  When I go to music only the first 200 folders show up.  But when I use the WD my cloud software then all the folders show up.  I can search for the missing files/folders with file explorer and they come up in a search but thats the only way I can view them.

Have you asked Microsoft why their software can’t see more than 200 folders? It appears to be a Microsoft problem, since it works perfectly well under your earlier OS, and via the WD apps.

cpt_paranoia wrote:

Have you asked Microsoft why their software can’t see more than 200 folders? It appears to be a Microsoft problem, since it works perfectly well under your earlier OS, and via the WD apps.

So I guess your saying that I shouldn’t ask for help with a WD product in a WD disscusion group, if there is a likley chance that the issue is with microsoft?  I actually posted this question first in a windows 10 discussion group and they suggested that I post the question here. I think that anyone with some experience knows that micosoft is not the most helpfull company around when it comes to tech support and 3rd party hardware/ software issues.

By the way cpt_paranoia just courious do you often respond to questions when you clearly have no clue what the answer is? My gut feeling is that there is an issue with WD’s driver working with windows 10.  I posted this mainly to see if others were having the same issue or maybe the slight chance that someone else is having the same issue and fixed it.  Im not sure what differnce it makes whose fault it is,  I just want it to work.   Yes clearly it could be a microsoft issue but Im just covering the bases.  If Im in violation of posting in this group please let me know.

Hi harpo,

I don’t think I have a solution, but I thought you might like to know that I recently updated from Windows 7 to 10 and I don’t have this problem at all.

As you have realised, the MyCloud application is useless unless you need to access your data outside of your home network, so the file explorer is the correct tool to be using. Lets see if we can get it working…

Firstly, you say that you are browing from the network location on the file. It is a lot easier if you map the shares you want to use regularly as a network drive. To do this simply browse to the MyCloud under network, find the relevant share and right click on that, select map network drive and, hey presto, your share will appear as if it were a new hard drive on your computer.

On the file explorer menu bar, select view, then select “details”. Can you see all your files now?

If you are still not seeing alll your files, try rebooting the MyCloud and let us know how you get on.

I think that there is a problem with windows 10 I do not see the files just photos and videos under network but not as a drive I do not know what to do. With windows 8 the icloud was working alright

harp0 wrote:

I have a WD my cloud network drive 3tb. I store my music and movies and backup files on it. I just today got a new hp laptop with windows 10. When I use the WD my cloud software to view my files they all show up just fine about 600 albums. When I use the Microsoft software by going to the network drive my cloud in Microsoft file explorer only the first 200 files show up.

I really dislike the wd software and would like to just use the built in windows software if this is a fixable issue. Up till today I have been using windows 7 home and I have never had this issue with that OS.

In Windows 8 File Explorer the mycloud appears in at least 2 locations, 1 for files, 1 for media/DLNA

I suspect you are seeing the DLNA files which could be indexing is not done yet or other DLNA issues.

try going to \ipaddress in files explorer, this will ensure you are seeing the files and not DLNA media

So I guess your saying that I shouldn’t ask for help with a WD product in a WD disscusion group, if there is a likley chance that the issue is with microsoft?

No, I didn’t say that. In fact I posted a thread a couple of days ago, asking people to report Windows 10 problems to Microsoft, if they report them here.

By the way cpt_paranoia just courious do you often respond to questions when you clearly have no clue what the answer is?

No, it’s very unusual. That’ll be why I get thanked for my help on a fairly regular basis.

I’m sorry I can’t help with your problem immediately, but I’m thinking longer term, beyond your individual needs. If no-one reports problems to Microsoft, when are they going to fix them?

dubie wrote:

Hi harpo,

I don’t think I have a solution, but I thought you might like to know that I recently updated from Windows 7 to 10 and I don’t have this problem at all.

As you have realised, the MyCloud application is useless unless you need to access your data outside of your home network, so the file explorer is the correct tool to be using. Lets see if we can get it working…

Firstly, you say that you are browing from the network location on the file. It is a lot easier if you map the shares you want to use regularly as a network drive. To do this simply browse to the MyCloud under network, find the relevant share and right click on that, select map network drive and, hey presto, your share will appear as if it were a new hard drive on your computer.

On the file explorer menu bar, select view, then select “details”. Can you see all your files now?

If you are still not seeing alll your files, try rebooting the MyCloud and let us know how you get on.

I have not mapped anything.  This sounds to me like it might work.  Even if it doesn’t I like the idea of the relevant share showing up as another drive on my computer.  I understand how to map but  I’m a bit confused about what I should map.  Mainly I’m using the “public” folder.  The other folders are for users and they are for backups.  Within Public I have quite a few folders, (Video, music, photos, misc.) 

Can I just map Public and be done with it?   Thanks again for the great advice.

larryg0 wrote:

In Windows 8 File Explorer the mycloud appears in at least 2 locations, 1 for files, 1 for media/DLNA

I suspect you are seeing the DLNA files which could be indexing is not done yet or other DLNA issues.

try going to \ipaddress in files explorer, this will ensure you are seeing the files and not DLNA media

This makes sence, I think I had an issue with this on another computer.  Thanks.  I will try and see if it works.

“Can I just map Public and be done with it?   Thanks again for the great advice.”

yes you can map at the share (public) level or lower, generally at the share level

do to a Windows “feature” if you connect to a public share 1st you can not connect to a private share you always need to connect to a private share 1st and this user needs at least read access to all shares you want to connect to 

larryg0 wrote:

“Can I just map Public and be done with it?   Thanks again for the great advice.”

yes you can map at the share (public) level or lower, generally at the share level

do to a Windows “feature” if you connect to a public share 1st you can not connect to a private share you always need to connect to a private share 1st and this user needs at least read access to all shares you want to connect to 

Wow.  It works!  Thanks so much to all who gave advice.  Mapping the drive solved the issue, No more missing files.