WD My Cloud Mac only uploads 512 KB and then stops

alicar29 wrote:

Similar problem but mine stops at 999mb then freezes. Still wait for response from WD. With so many people compaining of this problem with no apparrant fix other than don’t use WD software I’m about to give up. Problem is I’m not sure exactly where the issue is. Do I switch from IMAC to PC or WD to QNAP or similar. 

This problem might not be related and has been dealt with before:  http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Cloud/File-does-not-transfer-after-it-reaches-999-00-MB/td-p/897215

The solution is to use the Finder for local uploads to the drive, and not to upload the files via the MyCloud app.

The 512KB limit when uploading files is, at least in my case, happening on remote uploads only (i.e. when using the drive as an actual *cloud* :slight_smile:

Hi,

allow me to addd  my half-penny worth.

I do not believe that it has much to do with WD desktop app.  The 512KB problem occurred to me as soon as I updated

to Yosemite 10.10.5.  I did it at the end of August and immediately the problem started.  It happened when connecting remotely (otherwise other avenues ar eavailable as already mentioned by others).

BTW I run Parallels in my Mac Book Pro and WD Desktopn from inside Widows 7 in Parallels works as expected, with

no problems.

As we all know, Apple are not exactly forthcoming in fixing what they break, so I do not hold many hopes. 

Best regards

Iamst you may well be right.  But apple probably are not going to fix WD desktop app for them, and it would be nice to know from WD if there is anything they can do or not.

If they say it is not fixable, then it would be nice to know and I would invest in other systems that do work. It would also be nice if they put a warning on thier suport pages, becasue at the moment it says that the app is working on Mac OS X 10.10. Folk may be buying the WD products in the expectation that it works on the OS they state that it is working on.

We are currently working on the WD2go site.  This should be fixed when My Cloud OS 3 fully rolls out at the end of the month.

1 Like

Thanks Bill_S. I apprecaite you responding on here.

Can you just clarify becaue I have had differnt messages from different support folk.  Are you saying the Desktop App problem of only uploading 512 KB is related to problems on the WD2go site ?, and the desktop app will start working again when the MY Cloud OS 3 fully rolls out ?

Wscot wrote:

Thanks Bill_S. I apprecaite you responding on here.

Can you just clarify becaue I have had differnt messages from different support folk.  Are you saying the Desktop App problem of only uploading 512 KB is related to problems on the WD2go site ?, and the desktop app will start working again when the MY Cloud OS 3 fully rolls out ?

Yes, to both questions.  I don’t know if you saw the sticky on this forum, but we did say that you would not be able to use WD2go.com during this time.  The 512kb upload stop is most likely your first packet(s) being stopped with no where to go.

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Cloud/New-users-cannot-connect-remotely-to-WD2go/m-p/899004#U899004

1 Like

OK thanks for the info

Yes I did see that sticky, but I was told by support the the desktop app should still work, and infact on the wd2go.com website (  https://files.mycloud.com/login.php?brand=webfiles ) it also states that the desktop app should still be working. So was confused.

It would help if they modified that webpage to say the the desktop app will NOT work.

cheers

I was told by support the the desktop app should still work

That was my understanding, too; I did a double-take when I read Bill’s comment.

1 Like

cpt_paranoia wrote:

I was told by support the the desktop app should still work

That was my understanding, too; I did a double-take when I read Bill’s comment.

The My Cloud Desktop should still be working.  I just talked to someone about this and they are using it to access their files right now.

Bill_S wrote:

The My Cloud Desktop should still be working.  I just talked to someone about this and they are using it to access their files right now.

For me, the desktop app works locally without any issues but does not work when accessing the drive remotely (512 KB limit). What is a bit weird though is that files smaller than 512 KB can be uploaded remotely.

1 Like

Hi Bill,

Yes this is the confusion. The desktop app does NOT work when using it outside the local network, except for files smaller than 512 KB as dario and many others have stated. The curious thing is that for files bigger than 512 KB you can pause and restart teh upload many times, and each restart loads another 512 KB of teh file. SO if you have enough patience and time you can restart as many times as you like and eventually upload any size file you like. :wink:

I raised a ticket with support, but as yet no reply.  Should I give up and buy something else that works ?

I do know that we’re upgrading and replacing WD2go.com with a new and improved Web-based access system. So, any issues encountered now will be gone then.

1 Like

Hi Bill,  ok… thanks again for the info. I will try to have more patience and wait for the upgrade to WD2go.

Cheers

I am outraged by this .

I am unable to use my cloud for what i need to do. :angry:

Is there anything I can do to increase the pressure on WD ?

When will we be able to upload again ???

The question is why has one service been removed before one  is ready to replace it.  The post put out by WD just refers to an upgrade but doesn’t address this obvious question.

You are left to wonder as has been posted elsewhere if this is due to the loss of Java in the most popular browsers or because of some security issue.

I don’t know if Bill can tell us the back story to the withdrawal of the remote sign on prior to the upgrade being ready and why this has impaired the desk top app for MACs but not other devices?

I love my WD cloud but would be happier to await the fix If these loose ends could be tied up. In the absence of hard information it is natural to worry that the upgrade is hoped to fix their issue with MACs rather than going to.

Yeah I am also a bit suprised that a big compnay like WD leave customers high and dry for many weeks unable to use thier products. If there was some major unforseen software problem, I guess we would understand but some more info would be usefull. At the moment it just looks incompetent and unprofessional. 

Having said that, I am greatful to Bill for the information he has given.

Exactly same problem here.  Cannot upload any thing to My Cloud back home (on the other side of the global) remotely from my Mac.  Are we going to be notified when this problem get fixed, hopefully by end of Sep?

I have today prompted support to answer my email of Sept 10 (which supplied them with a system report the requested from my mycloud mirror). I also copied the email as many WD company directors as I coudl find email addressses for. I dont know what more I can do to try and get some help from support on this issue. I will post any replies I get here.

I have the same issue here. I’m wating for support response.

After my email to directors I got a responce from 4 different support people this morning. One states :

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support.  

First of all I am sorry for the extended delay to answer you. I just got your case.

I did a deep troubleshoot with this issue as you case is not the first, and I found that the issue comes from th update from 10.10.4 to 10.10.5.

So if there is any way for you to roll back to 10.10.4 or test another Mac which is not using 10.10.5 it will work fine.

This is the only current workaround I have found. As El Capitan is going to be released next week, it may be possible that after that date a new version of the WD My Cloud for Mac is going to be released. Also please check the new firmware is going to be released this month, has some improvements. 

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

Unfortunately rollingback to an earlier version of the OS is not an option for me. I already updated the new firmare on My Cloud Mirror … it doesnt help. On one of my systems I have the El Capitan Golden Master … doesn help. So I guess my cloud mirrors are just fancy bookends for now. Come on WD… is it really that difficult to solve. ? Lets hope some of the other support guys can find a solution.