WD My Cloud Mac only uploads 512 KB and then stops

Dear all,

I suspect that the issue is indeed with 10.10.5 as I said a few days back and the WD email appears to confirm.  It is possible that the desktop tries to communicate remotely (i.e. NOT in the local network) through https. I suspect (but have no evidence nor I am looking to get any as I am not savvy enough) that 10.10.5 has broken that port, whether deliberately or by mistake.

BTW it is also possible that Apple have damaged Finder (can anybody check that?).

As the SMB port would require appropriate tunneling through the router (is that a good idea) we are a bit stuck unless WD raises the issue with Apple (unlikely) and Apple listens (very unlikely as they are only interested in iCloud).

In other words we are stuck: I get around the problem as I have Parallels in my Mac running Windows 7 and WD desktop works fine.

To be honest, with the wd2go website down for over a month and nobody seemingly caring for the situation wrt Mac users, I am going to give up and buy from Synology next: quite simply, I am having enough,

Best regards, and hope that WD take it up seriosuly enough to give a realistic schedule for wd2go.

OK… I am currently on the phone to a guy in WD support in CA someplace… who says the desktop app does work remotely using  OS X 10.10.5… so lets see what he comes up with… 

I tried work around the problem by using WD desktop in Windows VM (virtualbox) too.  But that is slow and unreliable.  The uploaded file was in fact corrupted (after the transmission was stopped and resumed a few times).

Dear all,

I am sorry to post again, but there is something I found.

In my WD My cloud I have a partition.  I am connecting it remotely to my WD (using a DN name as my ISP uses dynamic, not shared IP addresses) through Finder (“Go to Server”) using the https port :

https://:443/

It will ask of course for username and password.  I then again “Go to server” to the WD My cloud partition I am interested in:

https://:443//

I get now two virtual disks open on my desktop.  I can open the one and show its contents but cannot transfer data to it as some errors arise (Error code -36).

However, the WD myc cloud partition is now mounted in

/Volumes//

I can use the Terminal app to copy any file I want of seemingly any size to the remote WD My Cloud.

cp ./file /Volumes///

The transfer speed is not very fast (WD Desktop app did it better or so it felt in my memory) but at least it works remotely.

I am puzzled by the diversity of behaviour between using Finder and using line commands.  Perhaps WD should look into that.  Is it Finder broken?

I hoipe that the above is of some help.

Best regards

OK… So this is what I have been told.

The solution will come NEXT WEEK, possibly as early as MONDAY, but possibly toward the end of the week.

The new interface will allow direct transfer through a web interface replacing wdmycloud.com and ALSO allow direct  connection through a device visible in finder.

If your email is registered with WD you will be notified, and of course if I get something I will post it here. If this is accurate and it works I will be very happy. 

I had permission from WD Support to post his comments which he has since emailed to me. Looks liek the desktop app is not liekly to be  fixed (it doesnt currently work with El Capitan) but at least the web broswer solution should work soon

My name is [[WD Support Agent]] and I was the level two agent whom spoke with you earlier today. In summation, any resolution to the My Cloud desktop app would come with a future update to the Mac OS operating system. The Desktop App had no problems with Mac OS X 10.10.4 or earlier and, as I stated my 3 Mac computer’s with 10.10.5 do not exhibit this behavior. We are set to launch our web access upgrade from WD2go to Web Files on or about 9/28 - 9/30/2015. Remote access can be accomplished through a web browser at: http://wdmycloud.com and login credentials are your email address used to setup web access and your password. This will open a portal, very similar to your Desktop App as well as mount a virtual drive in Finder. For more information, please visit the above URL.

Probably not the best idea in the world, but try the beta page   http://beta.mycloud.com/ worst case is that is doesn’t let you login.

1 Like

Hi init0

Thanks!!  works perfectly! wow… I wish support had told me about this  - would have saved a lot of grief.

It doesn’t let me login.

Hi Eddie, not sure why it lets me log in and not you, but I guess it will be out of beta next week anyhow.

All users are in for a treat when it is finally released. Nopt alos does the web interface work well, but there is a new WD sync app that keeps selected files synced across your devises through your WD Mycloud Mirror. From my very initial testing it works well for me, except it wont accept file names longer than 200 characters :frowning: Seems to have pretty much same functionality for me as DropBox, but I now have a a massive drive capacity rather that rationing out my meagre dropbox space.

I noticed new WD cloud app on iPhone/iPad.  The beta page seems to be come official now, but still doesn’t allow me to signin.  Is the problem now fixed?  Any new client for Mac??

Hi Eddie

It is not out of beta, and the uploading of files works fine via the webpage. There is a new WD sync app, which is very flaky on the mac. Om my system it seems to sync so far, then gets stuck ,and starts again and gets stuck at the same poimt and loops around and and around unit it crashes. 

Would be nice if it worked, but I can live without it.

Hi all,

What we need is being able to MOUNT DRIVES remotely, as we were with the wd2go system.

Do you know if this is now possilble with the new system? I couldn´t figure it out. 

Cheers.

javiluchi wrote:

Hi all,

What we need is being able to MOUNT DRIVES remotely, as we were with the wd2go system.

Do you know if this is now possilble with the new system? I couldn´t figure it out. 

Cheers.

It is no longer possible to map folders through mycloud.com.  That was only capable with WebDav.  We no longer are using WebDav, we’re using Webfiles on mycloud.com.  We found too many limitations using WebDav.

Is this considered solved?

EddieWong wrote:
Is this considered solved?

No.

The original problem with the My Cloud app for Macs stlll remains and uploads to the drive fail at 512KB.

1 Like

If you’re still using the desktop app, then yes, you will have issues.  We recommend that you start using Webfiles, which is accessed through mycloud.com.  I’ve been using it and it works great.

This solution is not feasible, at least for me.

I’m literally thousands of miles away from my WD device. It is in Brazil and I’m in the US for the next months. 

WDMyCloud desktop app let me see my files – my device is working correctly, I can download files from it (100+ Mb files OK). 

I cannot upload a single file over 512K.

I’m using a Mac with 10.10.5. 

When I try to connect via mycloud.com I get the very frustrating “can’t connect to WDMyCloud, make sure your device is powered, update the firmware” message. Do they expect we to be always close to device that is supposed to work remotely? 

With this kind of restrictions the device is even less flexible than a simple USB-connected external disk.

I know that this isn’t the right place to ask for technical support, but the tech support already knows about this issue. This is the place to vent frustrations, hoping prospective buyers will read them before buying.

Same here. My wd cloud is in Canada and I am in Hong Kong.  i have set it to auto update but I found that not very reliable. If it’s not updating itself, how could I trigger the firmware update remotely?

This is no solution to the original problem at all. It’s like telling me to use an Android Phone instead of an iPhone. Besides, the page doesn’t even allow me to register…I can only log-in on the German page and if I hit the “Register”-button, I am forwarded to the log-in page as well. This is all very frustrating!

Ok, so now I CAN use the web interface at files.mycloud.com for uploading and downloading files remotely, but WHY can I not upload folders? This is a major problem as our company is using (or WERE using) this drive for uploading and acting as a central place for job folders with numerous folders inside those. The desktop app handled this fine, but it no longer works. Now I cannot upload folders using the web interface? How can WD sell you a product and then remove functionality? I don’t get it, this is crazy.

I welcome any suggestions on how to solve this so that we can actually keep our company running.

Thanks.