WD My Cloud Gen 2; Fan always running at high level

Dear all,

I have a question. I installed my new WD Cloud Mirror last Sunday and copied all my photos to the new drive. That lasted until Monday afternoon.
Now all the data are on the drive and I have access to them. The NAS is running properly. However, the fan is always running at high rpm. This is really annoying since it is very very loud. However, I’m not sure why. The temperature in my room is 21 °C and the HDDs have a temperature of about 40 °C. Moreover I do not access any data from the NAS.

I already installed the firmware manually again and did some re-starts but still the same problem. Do you have any idea why this is happening? If I cannot solve the problem I have to sell it because the noise is so annoying.

Regards,
Tim

Hello,

The fan only spins when the device is overheating and it seems the hard drives temperature is normal, so I would recommend that you replace your My Cloud Mirror from the place of purchase.

This is normal.

If you have the cloud feature enabled the MCM will scan for photos, movies and music to generate thumbnails, this is very CPU demanding and will take a lot of time to complete depending on the amount of photos you have uploaded. If you want to temporarily stop the fans you can go in the dashboard → Settings → general and look for the iCloud access and disable it.

If you dashboard speed navigation is horrible, you can take a look at my thread

Hi PEMAMETAL,
maybe you know how to turn off thumbnailing process forever and don’t turning off cloud access at the same time? For me thumbnailing it’s very annoying thing. When I puting around 1000 raw photos from my dslr cam, device spend around to ten hours to create thumbnails. At this time the device is very slow and hardly accessible, both via lan or web interface. Also at this time fan works on maximum speed, and both drives heating up to 50-55 degrees.
I found out that the main reason of this slow speed are two ufraw-batch process, which use 100% of device cpu.
But I don’t know how to stop them not using the SSH.

Hey dude.

The only way I know to stop the thumbnailing process is to access it via SSH:

• To access SSH I type this on terminal ( I am using a Mac):

ssh root@192.168.1.6

• Then to disable thumbnails:

/etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd stop
/etc/init.d/wdmcserverd stop

The problem is that if you restart your Device, you will have to do this again.

I simply found better for me to disable the cloud feature completely and use Plex server installed directly to the NAS instead. Plex also will take a lot of time to scan and generate thumbnails for photos and specially music, but at least you can control when you want to do that, by manually starting and stopping the media scan.

If you never heard of Plex, I suggest you to take a look, it is very interesting.

PEMAMETAL,
Thanks for your answer, and about ssh steps explanation, but i still hope WD will include this button in web interface.
About Plex, I think I don’t need things like this, I don’t have smart tv or smth. I only need device with hi speed access from local network or internet for data transfer and stoage. By the way if they will not fix this bug(in my opinion), I’ll be forced to look for a replacement with other brand.