WD MY Cloud and 2 PC's

Afternoon all,

I have recently purchased a new desktop PC for the family in addidtion to the laptop that we currently use. I currently have the laptop set up to back up and sync to the MY cloud.

Is there a way I can set up my new PC to sync with the laptop through the WD My cloud?

example.

I create a word documnet on my laptop and save locally and gets backed up/ synced with WD My cloud. When I turn my new PC on the document is in my documents on the PC  and vice versa.

If this cannot be done how do i go about getting a solution for the problem

Thanks

Welcome to the WD Community.

As far as i know, this is not possible through the standars procedures of the my cloud. 

What you can do on this case is to setup the backup on both PCs and access the information over the network.

backup is totally different than sync. A backup job will usually create a large file and can only be used with the software used to create the file.

Foldey sync is totally different and it is what you want. PC1 save the file on a folder which gets sync to another folder on the NAS. From PC2 do the same just different direction or bidirectional. Plenty of freeware out there.

However… the easier solution would be… mount same NAS folder on both PCs. Just make sure any new or ediited file is saved on this drive/mount. This would not give you backup though, you would have to set that apart.

If you re using a windows PC.  You can use synctoys2.1 from microsoft.  If you laptop sync’s to the WD My Cloud.

You then use synctoys2.1 to sync your other PC with the WD My Cloud.

RAC

A troll perhaps? Same user, two different posts…

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Syncing-Solution-Needed-ASAP/m-p/896746/highlight/false#M39858

meirion658 wrote:

Afternoon all,

I have recently purchased a new desktop PC for the family in addidtion to the laptop that we currently use. I currently have the laptop set up to back up and sync to the MY cloud.

Is there a way I can set up my new PC to sync with the laptop through the WD My cloud?

example.

I create a word documnet on my laptop and save locally and gets backed up/ synced with WD My cloud. When I turn my new PC on the document is in my documents on the PC  and vice versa.

If this cannot be done how do i go about getting a solution for the problem

Thanks

I have a 3 TB MC I use common file storage in addition to a backup repository. While my solution is NOT truly a synch for my needs it accomplishes what I require. I established a share on MC and moved all the files I wished to “have synchronized” to that share. Now whenever I use any of the 5 computers (2 Win 7, 2 Ubuntu, 1 Mac) in my home I have access to the necessary files. This share is included in the auto created safepoint at 3am.
This solution has some limits - I found that editing photos using Photoshop Elements was problematic.