WD My cloud 4 TO: No space left on the disk (Transmission)

Dear all,

I am using Transmission on my Wd My CLOUD 4 TO… However, since a few days, I ve noticed a recurrent issue:

-Despite the fact that I still have, at least, 3 TO available on the storage, some of my downloads dont reach 100% (instead 99,95% e.g.) and it says “No space left on the disk” as illustrated below:

Do you know how I can fix it ? What is annoying me (and it’s really frustrating) is the fact that it stops always when it’s getting closer to 100%

Yeah, you’re pointing downloads to the ROOT partition.   Don’t do that.

What’s wrong with it ?

DavDC wrote:

What’s wrong with it ?

Do a “df /root” and you’ll find out how much space is available on the partition the “/root” folder resides on which will answer why it may not be wise to use the “/root/Drivers/” folder or any other location on the partition the root folder is located as a download folder.

The real question is; why are you downloading to the “/root/Drivers” folder and not “/DataVolume/shares/Public/Transmission” or some other “/DataVolume/shares/” folder?

Hello,

First of all, thank your for your answer. You are totally right, when I check df/root I dont have any space left available.

The reason behind your question is quite simple: I “just” followed this link to install transmission:

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Cloud/APP-Transmission-v2-84-for-firmware-V4-12-2014/td-p/770207

It might sound a bit silly but what’s the différence between “root/Downloads” and “DataVolume/shares/Public/Transmission/Downloads” ? Is it possible to change manually the space allowed to this partition ? Or what’s the best way to fix my problem ? I would like to keep some files available for download (and if I change the directory, the tracker will not find them anymore, right ?)

I changed the path to “/DataVolume/shares/Public/Transmission/Downloads” but I still have the error message

DavDC wrote:

I changed the path to “/DataVolume/shares/Public/Transmission/Downloads” but I still have the error message

Did you delete the stuff on /root that you previously downloaded?

It might sound a bit silly but what’s the différence between “root/Downloads” and “DataVolume/shares/Public/Transmission/Downloads”

Remember that, unlike a computer, the MyCloud NAS isn’t a simple Linux box; it’s a NAS implemented using firmware running on a linux system on one (fairly small) partition, which stores user data on a separate (much larger) partition.

If you download material to the linux system partition, you’ll soon run out of space on the partition, as you have found.

Not only that, but when the firmware is upgraded, your downloaded material is likely to be wiped.

hello

How do i delete the files that were download to root/downloads accidently?

And do i change the destination folder in transmission?

thanks

DavDC wrote:

Hello,

First of all, thank your for your answer. You are totally right, when I check df/root I dont have any space left available.

The reason behind your question is quite simple: I “just” followed this link to install transmission:

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Cloud/APP-Transmission-v2-84-for-firmware-V4-12-2014/td-p/770207

It might sound a bit silly but what’s the différence between “root/Downloads” and “DataVolume/shares/Public/Transmission/Downloads” ? Is it possible to change manually the space allowed to this partition ? Or what’s the best way to fix my problem ? I would like to keep some files available for download (and if I change the directory, the tracker will not find them anymore, right ?)

If you follow that link to install transmission, the download path will not be /root/, but /shares/Public/Transmission/Downloads/. Unless you’ve changed them manually or had any changes prior. I know because I set it up that way (-:

I had this problem. Took many days and lots of research, but I fixed this problem with help from some experts. I am using MyCloudEx2 Ultra with Transmission daemon 2.94 installed. I had almost 5TB of storage available, but Transmission claimed it was full. Using OS 5.

Disclaimer: Please double check your exact paths and change commands accordingly. I am not responsible for any damage to your device. When you access SSH, be careful.

Step 1: Activate SSH in the device settings and stop the Transmission program.
Step 2: Log into SSH - use the following command:

ssh sshd@youripaddress

Step 3: Create a folder on your public share for the Transmission config files. I use /Transmission/config

Step 4: Transfer the Transmission config files to your public share with the following command:

mv /mnt/HD/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/Transmission/config /mnt/HD/HD_a2/Public/Transmission

Step 5: Make a soft link in the Transmission folder to the new location

ln -s /mnt/HD/HD_a2/Public/Transmission/config /mnt/HD/HD_a2/Nas_Prog/Transmission/config

you can verify that there’s a folder in the directory call config by typing ls
If you try to enter the directory, however, it will give you an error message. That’s normal.

start transmission and test.

Note: as this post is so old, I am assuming this is probably not relevant to you anymore. But I am posting the solution here anyway in the hopes that it can help someone.