Dashboard says I'm out of space but I'm not

I have the 4TB My Cloud and I’m having issues. It keeps telling me that I’m basically out of capacity but when I look at what’s saved in it I’ve barely used it.

The Dashboard says I have 3.9TB used in Other, and the App Manager notifications say that I have 0% left but when I go to the drive in Windows Explorer, and the WD Sync tool the aggregate size of the files I’ve saved is only about 42GB.

Are there hidden files or folders that I can’t see? Have I done something stupid? What could these “other” items be that I can’t find?

cd \DataVolume df .

Thanks for your answer, I get the following error message:

-bash: cd: DataVolume: No such file or directory

forward slash: it’s Unix…

cd /DataVolume

Thanks, result:

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available use% Mounted on /dev/sda4 3841069352 3763023268 20 100% /DataVolume

is that it…?

Sorry hit wrong button

Gahh! (Typical me…)

Well that indicates 100% used.

While still in SSH mode, what folders are listed if you issue the ls command while in the /DataVolume folder?

Further if you issue the following command: du -h it will list the size of the folders found in the /DataVolume folder and all subfolders (including user data folders) within the DataVolume folder.

My wild guess is, because you use WD Sync, that WD Sync has filled your My Cloud hard drive due to the versioning it does to allow a user to restore a deleted/removed file. Its been a complaint made in the past in other threads. Don’t remember off hand but I think there is second WD Sync folder located on the My Cloud, possibly hidden (something like .wdsync) where the versioning files are stored per past discussion on that particular issue.

I suspect WD Sync, too. But that’s an awful lot of file replication to go from 42GB to fill 4TB… Something has gone very wrong…

If not the versioning of WD Sync then perhaps it throws failed sync files into a hidden folder on the My Cloud when syncing from the My Cloud back to the computer. There have been other complains about failed sync’s causing problems. Just wild guesses though without more information from the OP as to the particular folder or folders that are sucking up all the space on the drive.

Using ls I get: backup cache lost+found shares and the cache is highlighted

Usingd du -h I get a long list of folders, most of which look as expected, but in the list is:

3.5T ./shares/Justin/ 
3.5T ./shares/Justin/.WDSyncHistory
3.5T ./shares/Justin/.WDSyncHistory/.WD Hidden Files
4.0G ./shares/Justin/.WDSyncHistory/Deleted

There aren’t any sub-folders listed under ~/.WD Hidden Files is there a way to see what’s in there? And once assessed deleted? And then stop the issue from replicating itself in future?

Yep, appears to be another example of WD Sync sucking up the My Cloud hard drive space again.

If your using Windows, you may want to use WinSCP (https://winscp.net/eng/download.php) as its a bit more user friendly when accessing the My Cloud via SSH. You may have to set WinSCP to show hidden files through to see any files in those WDSyncHistory folders. See the following link for more information on enabling hidden files option: https://winscp.net/eng/docs/ui_pref_panels

Edit to add: To stop the issue in the future, don’t use WD Sync if your syncing on the local network. Use a third party sync program like Free File Sync (http://www.freefilesync.org/). Just be aware that you cannot remote sync with most third party software except in certain cases like over FTP (or SFTP). Further note that FTP is not a secure protocol.

You need to use ls -a to see hidden files. You can cd to ./shares/Justin/.WDSyncHistory
Then type ls -a to see what files are there.

RAC

Thanks for your help with this, there are thousands of, I guess, files in the hidden directory, all about 300MB in size. Using WinSCP, can I select and delete them without blowing anything up?

Do you have the original copies on the sync source machine?

If so, turn off WD Sync and delete away. You might choose this point to uninstall WD Sync, and install something better. I too use FreeFileSync.

You might even consider doing a quick factory restore to delete everything, and then run the Dashboard-based setup again. Start from scratch, using a tool that works…

I don’t even know what the original files were, they’re all named along the lines of 55e9b75e-1094-42f7-a759-06609fbdc7f6. But I’ve gone ahead an deleted them.

New df . result:

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available use% Mounted on
/dev/sda4 3841069352 415532212 3721470076 2% /DataVolume

A bit of a difference from last night…

Thank you both for your help with this. I’ve uninstalled WD Sync as advised and now I’ll go off and find something to replace it that doesn’t break me.

Thanks again.

For local syncing there is the third party program Free File Sync (http://www.freefilesync.org/) mentioned above. The downside with most if not all third party sync programs is the inability to sync (outside of insecure FTP) remotely with the My Cloud.