WD My Cloud 3TB + RasPi2 + Kodi + video file = slow as [Deleted]

You can run top to see what processes are using the cpu.  So ssh into the My Cloud.  Type in top.  Now while watching

the top output stream your video.  See what processes show up on the first line or two.

RAC

PS what application are you using to stream your video?

1 Like

Ralphael wrote:

It is a checklist and you have just answered your own question…

If you are getting 85MB/s then you are good to go… there are not other activites that is slowing it down. 

That means only one thing… the Raspi2 method of retrieving the movie. There is absolutely no problem with the WD at all, really!!

Why is the Raspi2 retrieving the movie from my pretty old NAS system (from 2008!! Slow cpu and almost no RAM) with absolutely no problems at all and have problems using the WD? And having a good transfer rate from to pc to WD does mean it has a constant transfer rate with no disturbances. But no disturbances are crucial for a device with not very much buffer like my Raspi2.

It is still a miracle to me why a very, very, very old device like my DNS-323 is able to deliver the data fast enough to my Raspi2 and the WD is not able to.

In case I wouldn’t have the DNS-323 I’d totally agree with you that there is s.th. wrong with my Raspi2. Transfer rates of up to 85 MBytes/s to my pc seem to speak a clear language. But the slow and pretty old DNS-323, delivering not more than an average 11 MBytes/s, is performing very, very well delivering data to the Raspi2. That leads to only one conclusion: S.th. is very, very wrong with the WD.

To make it absolutely clear:

• I am using the same video files for testing purposes on the NAS and the WD
  • I am using SMB shares both on the NAS and the WD
  • All devices are connected to the same gigabit switch
  • I have switched cables and ports on that switch in any combination  I can think of

rac8006 wrote:

You can run top to see what processes are using the cpu.  So ssh into the My Cloud.  Type in top.  Now while watching

the top output stream your video.  See what processes show up on the first line or two.

RAC

PS what application are you using to stream your video?

Pretty good idea. I will give it a try tomorrow. Where  I am it’s already 11:45 pm. :wink:

Working with one and not working with the other doesn’t conclude that the other is broken. Your logic is wrong.

Lets just start with speed.

85MB/s is the speed that I get when I read files from my WD; it simply cannot go any faster.

I can stream 720p movies to my Apple TV without stutterring via wifi which is not any faster than 11MB/s.

Your Raspi can stream movies from the DNS-323 at 11MB/s.

If you can get 85MB/s between PC and the WD, there is nothing wrong with the WD period, 

That is as fast as any WD can go; mine included.

Thus two logics can be summarized here.

1. WD speed is fine at 85MB/s and is not broken.

2. Movies can stream at 11MB/s and doesn’t need to be any faster

We can probably come to the conclusion that something in WD is incompatible with your raspi and I’m suspecting that it is because it is the only device on your gigabit network to be 100 mbit which may be causing problems.

Try the following:

1. You can try plugging the WD directly into your Raspi which will then lowered it down to 100Mbit speeds and I suspect that it would work perfectly without any stuttering.

2. remove all other devices from your switch leaving only the Raspi and WD, being the only 100mb device may lower the overall network to 100mb and hopefully may work better.

Those are my last guesses…

good luck…

1 Like

Hello Raphael,

you were perfectly right with your assumption that the mixture of 100 MBit and 1000 MBit devices causes my problem.

I connected the My Cloud to an AVM 6360 Fritz!Box, a very common cable router here in Germany. All LAN ports on it can be set individually either to 100 MBit or to 1000 MBit. I have set the port to 100 MBit to which I have connected the My Cloud and tried to playback a movie on my Raspi. And it worked as far as I have watched it (20 mins or so) without rebuffering.

Yippee! But this is only the first step. I really would like to have the My Cloud connected to a gigabit port on my switch or my cable router. That’s because I want to use the My Cloud as target for my cable receiver. This receiver is able to record more than one broadcast at a time. So the higher the network speed the better. And last but not least I often rip DVDs and Blu-rays with my pc to the My Cloud. Same here: The higher the network speed the better. :wink:

It’s still a miracle to me why my DNS-323, also a gigabit device like the My Cloud, works flawlessly with the Raspi2. I suspected the MTU size, but it’s the same on the My Cloud, the Raspi2 and the DNS-323. Its size is 1500 on all devices. I used ifconfig to determine the MTU size.

Gigabit works with the DNS-323 and the Raspi2, but not with the My Cloud and the Raspi2 at the moment. I assume there got to be a setting on the My Cloud for the network that lets it work with a gigabit connection and the Raspi2. But which setting?

Deezle

As you’ve discovered, it’s not the MTU that’s at issue.   It’s the segment size defined in SMB and TCP stacks which are different.

The My Cloud gets its higher performance due to large TCP / Samba window sizes – but if these large transmissions overwhelm the switch’s buffers, packets are going to get lost which yield retransmissions and a slowdown in performance.

Read more here:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/HOW-TO-Troubleshoot-NAS-Performance-concerns/m-p/618695#M1256

1 Like

Hello TonyPh12345,

thank you for pointing me to your very interesting post.

I assume that in my case the switch is not the (only) problem, because the communication between my pc and the My Cloud (conncected through the same switch) is pretty fast. About 85 MB/s. There are no slowdowns noticeable.

I fear that my Raspi2 cannot deal with the large segments the My Cloud uses. The question is: Can I decrease the segment size permanently? If yes, how? Maybe I can use the setting for the segment size on my DNS-323 as a guide line. But how do I find out which size is set?

Thank you very much in advance.

Deezle

Understanding the problem is halfway toward the solution or is it admission is halfway toward the cure?

In theory the switch should be able to mix and match your hardware and whether or not the Cloud is able to respond to the different mix is another question. We do know that the WD Cloud will respond properly to a 100mb config when forced.

So lets give the following a try:

1. attach “ONLY” the Raspi and the WD cloud (fresh start up) on the megabit switch to see if the two can communicate properly through a megabit switch. i.e. WD cloud responding to the raspi as a 100mb device through a gigabit switch. Yes I know we tried this before but you had your pc talking to the cloud before talking your raspi. We are trying for an auto recognition from the Cloud that the raspi is a 100mb device. 

2. if (1) works, then connect the PC to the switch and test the speed of the connection. Hopefully it should switch over to gigabit mode and get your 85MB/s transfer rate or does/will it work this way?

3. test the raspi again if (2) works to see if it switches back to 100mb.

alternative 1) If the above doesn’t work, lets throw the AVM 6360 Fritz!Box into the mix, connected between the Raspi ==> Fritz (100mb) ==> gigabit router and try out the 3 steps from above (i.e. raspi ==> fritz ==> wd cloud) followed by the pc connecting.

alternative 2) If all the above fails, then try setting the Fritz to gigabit mode between raspi and Cloud.

Good luck…

1 Like

I assume that in my case the switch is not the (only) problem, because the communication between my pc and the My Cloud (conncected through the same switch) is pretty fast. About 85 MB/s. There are no slowdowns noticeable.

No surprise. But if the switch has small buffers, the switch will struggle to get traffic OUT of the buffers at 100meg when it’s FILLING the buffers at 1000meg before it runs out of buffer.

1 Like

Hello TonyPh12345,

thank you for replying.

Sorry, I am no native English speaker. So I didn’t understand your reply. Could you please rephrase it?

Can I decrease the segment sizes on the My Cloud to avoid problems with the buffer on the router side?

Yesterday I read a lot in the WWW. I found hints that recommended editing smb.conf. But my knowledge of Linux and TCP/IP is so limited, that I did not dare to change s.th.

Thanks in advance.

Deezle

Hello TonyPh12345,

do you know how to decrease the segment sizes on the My Cloud to avoid problems with the buffer on the router side?

Thanks in advance.

Deezle

Deezle wrote:
Hello TonyPh12345,

do you know how to decrease the segment sizes on the My Cloud to avoid problems with the buffer on the router side?

Thanks in advance.

Deezle

Nope…   My suggestion is to try a better switch.  Then such hacks are never necessary.

1 Like

Since I am not entirely convinced that my switch and not the Raspi2 is the problem, I will to connect the Raspi2 and the WD directly with a cross-over cable. If that also fails the switch is not the problem.
How do I find a better switch?

1. Found a better switch
  2. Bought a better switch
  3. Everything works fine

By the way it is a Cisco Linksys SE2800.

Thank you very much, TonyPh12345! And thanks to all others who contributed to this thread.

Just wanted add some info here that might be of help for someone. I had a similar problem with streaming from Ex2 Ultra to Kodi 18.5 on a FTV; videos hung every 11th minute. Previously I had a dns-323 that worked flawlessly. I ended up switching both the Ultra and Kodi to use only smb1 and turned off jumbo frames, suddenly videos streamed without problem. I would assume that the smb change was the key, the old dns-323 only ran smb1.

Had the same issue, found your post, tried the bat, from pc to wd no issue, from wd to pc or android tv dropped like crazy, got a linksys switch now its perfect, im commenting here because your original post was closed and i wanted to say thank you very much