WD My Cloud 2TB not working

Ok i will do that. I have one more question. When i click on Dashboard and where it shows Capacity it says I have 610MB in other. Here is the dashboard

I checked all the folders and they are all empty.Also it says Cloud Devices 3. Is that right?

Post edited to remove incorrect information. One can select Shares from the upper menu bar on the Dashboard, then one can then select each Share from the list on the left and see each individual Share’s Usage to get a better idea of where that 610MB might be located.

Ok here is the shares menu

I went through Public , Smartware, TimeMachineBackup and Adrian and
Public usage it says 20kb
Smartware usage it says 4.1kb
TimeMachineBackup usage it says 4.1kb
Adrian usage it says 4.1 kb

This doesn’t add up to 610 mb

Did you by chance run WD Sync at some point and sync contents to the My Cloud? If so its possible WD Sync created one or more hidden folders where failed sync or backed up sync files are being stored.

If one wants to dig into their My Cloud via SSH they can use the “ls” or “dir” commands via SSH on the /DataVolume/shares/ directory to see what hidden folders there may be. One could run the command “du -h” via SSH in the “/DataVolume/shares/” to see the folder sizes of all folders in the “/DataVolume/shares/” directory.

No it isn’t; it’s the number of devices that have made a connection with the mycloud for remote access (tablets, phones, etc, using WD Mobile app).

‘Shares’ is the number of Shares you have on the MyCloud…

Doh, your right. Had a brain lock there for some reason. LOL.

I didn’t run WD Sync. I never saw it anywhere.

Ok I found the SSH in Network setting.

Which button do I slelect. The 3 vertical lines?
After that how do I use the “ls” or “dir” command on the /DataVolume/shares/ directory
And that other command “du-h” visa SSH in the /DataVolume/shares/ directory
Do i have to type them in. Please help

SSH is generally used by advanced users. It requires using some sort of SSH terminal program like Putty (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html) or an SSH graphical interface program like WinSCP (https://winscp.net/eng/index.php) or their Macintosh equivalents. If one doesn’t know what they are doing it is very easy to inadvertently delete files/directories using SSH and possibly brick your My Cloud.

You should start by performing an internet search for SSH and read up on how ot use it before enabling SSH and attempting to access the My Cloud via SSH.

To enable SSH in the Dashboard, simply click on the SSH slider and it should change from OFF to ON. You will then see a popup message box that informs you that using SSH may violate the My Cloud warrentee. That dialog box also (if I remember right) gives you the initial user name and password needed to access SSH. From there you would configure your SSH program, typically using the My Cloud IP address then connect to the My Cloud using SSH and enter in the initial username and password. In later v4.x firmware after entering the initial password the user is asked to change it.

Once at the command line (or using a GUI program) one can then being entering/typing in SSH commands (or navigate graphically) to see what directories are listed and their size.

NOTE: The following is just an example. Screen captures below are just examples, you may/will see something different. Proceed at your own risk!!! Do not blame me or anyone else if you brick or otherwise cause problems with your My Cloud while using SSH.

For example, on a v4.x My Cloud using Putty when one is logged in they will see a screen similar to the following:

From the SSH terminal command line one would enter/type in the following from command line when logged in via SSH:
cd /DataVolume/shares/

Next, one can enter/type in the follow command:
ls

Which will list the Shares in the Shares directory including any Shares you’ve created. Note: certain Share names redacted.

Next, one can enter/type in the following command:
du -h

A list of all the directories including hidden directories and their sizes within the Shares directory will be listed/displayed. From there one can typically scroll up or down the list in the terminal program window to see the directory sizes. Note: Certain directory information on second screen capture redacted.

Depending on which SSH program one is using one may be able to select the text in the terminal window and copy it. See the help for the terminal program for more information on how to copy text within the terminal window.

Ok Thanks for the step by step instructions. But I don’t know if I’m going to go ahead with this. I don’t want to cause more problems