WD My Book Essential not recognized or reformatted?

Dear Community!

My friend’s My Book Essential maybe corrupted or going down (S/N: WCAV5J434064T & P/N: WDBACW0010HBK-00 1611N). I and my friend just copied data from and old XP and shutting down the drive after it with the button, which was on it. After setting up a preinstalled machine with Windows 10, the problems arising:

• The Windows 10 didn’t recognized the WD drive normally, nor with the most updated Win10 driver (just showing the “Local Disc D:” sign, but it has stopped after 95% indexing
  • The Device manager showing the SES driver functioning and the My Book Essential 1130 Disk Drive
  • Sometimes the Disk manager Showing “Local Disk D:” but with no filesystem, or with inaccessible filesystem
  • My Linux Mint 18 XFCE shows the drive as “My Book” but it is not mountable (/sdb1), but in Linux Mint it is always formatted as NTFS
  • On Win7, Win 8 too, the logical drive is inaccessible, but showing “Local Disk D:”
  • On the original old XP machine when I turning off the drive with the back button, the “Local Disc D:” icon just pop up for a second and vanished in the file manager.
  • Connected direct to the power supply or replaced data cable from my WD Passport Ultra Metal didn’t help.
  • Testdisk recovered nothing.
  • Data Lifeguard Diagnostic show nothing.
  • All USB port (2.0 and 3.0) tried.

The drive contains 10 years of an association’s work so its very important.

My thought is that, the data files remained on the drive just these are inaccessible.

So it has a partition with filesystem (NTFS) just without a volume/partition sign, or it has become an empty partition just with a logical “D:” sign? It is a little bit confusing.

Should I remove the drive from the plastic case and attaching to a SATA port as an internal drive?

Any suggestion from you? Thanks in advance.

Hello armitage3,

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en

The link below will allow you to call support: