My WD external drive stopped working, it’s also slow down the computer when it’s connected and do weird noises… I can see the name of the drive but can’t open any item because it’s just get stuck… is there any chance to extract those files?
I also have wd backup but couldn’t restore any data from there so maybe it didn’t really did any backup
Please refer to the article How To Tell If The Noise or Sound An Internal Drive Makes is Normal:
Please test the health of your drive using the Western Digital Drive utility:
There could be various reasons for a drive to become unresponsive or undetected. It can be a hardware issue or some software issue. The external drive may be detected by the system if you connect it to another PC, but it doesn’t respond.
Below are a few possible reasons for this issue:
- Corrupt or unstable USB driver
- OS is missing important updates
- USB controllers may have become unstable or corrupt
- Corrupt USB drive or partition
However, you can still fix the issue and extract the files from the USB drive by attempting the below methods:
- Reboot your system - Shut down your system, remove the power cord wait for some time & then connect the power cord & boot your system.
- Try different PC or Laptop
- Re-install USB drivers
- Unplug all connected USB devices
- Fix USB root hub
You can also check out the below blog to know the solution for the issue:
Hope this will help.