WD EX4100 tijmes out before it can open a share

We have a MyCloud EX4100 that we’ve used for storage for a number of years. We have a lot of data in small files on the drive. The main share now has so many files it takes quite a while to determine the amount of storage used in the directory (if I ssh into the device and use a du command, it takes more than 15 minutes to finish). The downside of this is that that web interface checks the usage whenever you click on a share (to change permissions or sharing services, etc) and the interface times out after 10 or 15 minutes. This seems to means that once you fill a share beyond a certain number of files (making it take more than the interface timeout to check the usage), you can no longer edit the share settings using the web interface. Am I misunderstanding the situation? Is there a workaround (other than ssh’ing into the device and temporarily moving the files out of the share and then using the web interface to edit settings)? I have tested, and moving the files out before using the Share settings on the web interface does work, it just seems odd if it’s necessary.

Andrew Lundberg