Every time I go to My Cloud - Shares it freezes! Trying to calculate usage

I decided to do away with a dedicated Linux system and streamline things with the My Cloud EX2 4TB. I first upgraded the firmware to 2.11.164. I then tried to copy all my data over by connecting an external USB backup drive (WD My Book) with ~1.6 TB of data to the rear USB connectors and use the “Backup” feature of the EX2. After about 15 minutes the EX2 froze and I read a lot of forum posts and documentation and it sounded like this is normal when doing a big data transfer. 2 days later the system is still frozen so I power down by pulling the power cable out of the rear of the device). After a disk scan It starts up again and about 70% of my data is there… but everything is running pretty slowly… slower than my old Linux box in fact.

For my home-office network setup things are simple. I don’t generally do big data transfers so just use the router’s network port to connect the EX2 then connect my laptop via WIFI.

At this point after another restart I’m thinking it’s working at a fairly decent speed and I can access files and navigate around so I figure I’ll do some configuration using the My Cloud web interface. This is where the BIG problem lies… any time I go to the “Shares” area and select a share, the system freezes trying to calculate the usage! Now I’d think the web interface would just run a Linux command like “du” to do a very quick calculation and display that. But I get the feeling it’s doing a FULL scan of that particular share’s file system with ~1 terabyte of data and of course the system seems to be stuck in a resource battle from there onward.

I tried to do a quick disk scan but that hung after an hour at about 80% of the progress bar.

Any ideas of how to proceed? I keep on powering down and then back on to get it to run at an operable speed but I’m afraid to do much of anything or else it will get sluggish again.

After my latest restart it’s at about 50% CPU and 50% memory usage and 52 processes running… but nothing is going on! I haven’t even connected my laptop to it yet.

Is this abnormal or are the drives still “mirroring” perhaps?

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. The device seems like it has a lot of potential but at this point it’s been a source of immense frustration all week. Looking forward to moving on with my normal routine once I get this smoothed out.

Well I think I more-or-less figured out the issue. First off the EX2 is just not all that fast (especially compared to my old Linux box that was based on a Dell XPS desktop) so I need to keep on reminding myself that. My solution was to install a Gigabit ethernet hub between my laptop and the NAS. For any real quantities of data this is just a must.

Overall I’m happy with the EX2. Though I noticed that my warning log showed that a few days ago one drive went bad and had to be “rebuilt” which is a little disconcerting. Anyway fingers crossed for smooth sailing.

Hello superhombre

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this in future.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en