WD Elements Play Gen1 firmware

Hi

As the title says I have a gen1 of WD Elements Play.

My problem is that I can’t play most o mkv files.

My question is: Is it possible to solve this with a new firnware? If it is why is the latest firmware from 2010?

Will WD release a new fimware soon for this equipment?

Thank you

Hi, you can try posting the media info file here to check why the file is not compatible. Check the link below.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2745/session/L3RpbWUvMTM1MDg1MzgwMy9zaWQvY1BRSEJpOWw%3D

Alenk wrote:

Hi

As the title says I have a gen1 of WD Elements Play.

My problem is that I can’t play most o mkv files.

My question is: Is it possible to solve this with a new firnware? If it is why is the latest firmware from 2010?

Will WD release a new fimware soon for this equipment?

Thank you

It’s probably due to MKV Header Compression.   There are instructions all over the forum on how to deal with that.

WD no longer supports this box; it’s rather old, and don’t provide frequent updates to even the current Elements Play product.

It’s doubtful there will be an upgrade to the EP Gen 1.

Hello.

Thank you.

I did find MKV Fix that solves the problem.

About beeing rather old, I bought it about 6 months ago. It’s not old to me but looking at the date of the latest firmware…

Well… I had an Asus and it was very good. You could find firmware updates solving what was wrong and even custom firmwares.

For me it was the first and the last WD.

Thanks again

You said it… for me too, this is absolutely the first and last WD product. I am just fed up of my WD Elements Play…

As someone commented elsewhere, WD stands for “Worst Decision”.

But a big thank you to all the community members for their sincere advice and support.