WD Elements Play does not play many files

Two major issues with the player-

1. WD Elements Play, which claims to play almost all the files downloaded from internet, cannot play many of them, even when they are supported by the media player as claimed, like avi, mkv, etc. Some of the files it can play only video or only audio. I surprise, why the manufacturer cannot fix this issue. When an open source desktop media player like ‘VLC Media Player’ can efficiently play 99% of the files, why this media player cannot play those files, for which we spend a big chunk.

2. Video output settings (4:6 or 16:9 ratio or other options) does not save permanently. The setting is lost automatically and you have to do the excercize more often.

The manufaturer must pay adequate attention to this core issue and come up with some firmware update to fix these critical issues. In the meantime, new prospective buyers may look at feedback of other similar products in the market. My satisfaction level with this product is only about 60%.

raj123 wrote:

1. …which claims to play almost all the files downloaded from internet.

no such claim is made… anywhere.

raj123 wrote:

1. WD Elements Play, which claims to play almost all the files downloaded from internet, cannot play many of them, even when they are supported by the media player as claimed, like avi, mkv, etc.  

AVI, MKV and all others are just ‘containers’, there are multiple videos (profiles) that could be inside. (e.g. Divx, Xvid, MPEG4, etc etc.) Check if there is a specific source that does not play correctly and if the files are 100%. Mine plays pretty much everything 99% of the time.

…no such claim is made… anywhere…

List of supported files associated with the product is so comprehensive. Do I need to reproduce that? How else a claim is made? The need is to take consumer matters in right perspective. Making such comments will just add to your complacency and things will never improve. To improve things, first you need to recognize the deficiencies. You acknowledge it or not, the fact remains that one has to keep a ‘converter software’ ready with him to support in case WD rejects to identify a file format. And for that one has to be techno savvy. 

1. Losing video out setting (720p, 1080i, 420, etc.) so frequently is yet another issue which needs to resolved on priority.

2. The device is not optimally smooth and sensitive to the remote control supplied with it. Sometimes, the remote control becomes too sluggish. The ‘remote control’ is too small and keys are not comfortably placed. It has very limited functions.

3. The system or remote control needed to have ‘Preferred Language’ option for use in case a video comes with multiple (language) audio streams.

4. I have said in my earlier post that my overall satisfaction level with the product is about 60% which I maintain. I believe customer satisfaction level above 50% should be good feedback for a company. But, a lot of scope of improvement remains which need to taken up in right perspective.

Thanks…

You said… " [The Elements Play] … claims to play almost all the files downloaded from internet"

Do I need to reproduce that?

No, I just don’t like it when people make claims that are misleading.  You made a misrepresentation of fact.

WD makes SPECIFIC claims about what it supports.   It is your claim that is improper.  Your assumption that the long list of compatible formats means that it should play all the garbage from the internet is, well… naive.

AVI and MKV are *NOT* video formats.    They are CONTAINERs.   And as such, those containers ARE supported.  But the CONTENTS of the containers are a separate matter entirely, and that’s why WD’s documentation is so specific as to what FORMATS are compatible, what the limitations are, and which are supported in each CONTAINER type.

The only exception to that that I am aware of is that it does not support MKVs with HEADER COMPRESSION, which is something that was extremely rare until AFTER this device was released.

2 Likes

The only problem you have is: WD is not going to support this device in the future.

Stop waiting for new firmware revision.

Fly … to the place you bought and try to get your money back.

Prepare a pendrive with several video formats you need to play, and try another product in the store.

good look.

Your assumption that the long list of compatible formats means

that it should play all the garbage from the internet …

============================================

My dear friend, the ones you regard as garbage are standard formats and are played easily by other interfaces. By making such comments, you are simply asking people to stay away from the product as the manufacturer is in no way
going to improve its functionalities, even by one inch from what has been elaborated in product brochure which might have been prepared year(s) before. That’s correct spirit.

Now solution for the prospective customers … buy a simple 1tb portable hard disk (usb powered) of any brand which will cost you much lesser, connect it to your HDTV and play the videos using your TV’s remote. Now a days, almost all the HDTV are coming with Divx certification which implies they are capable of playing most of the video files in the fashion the WD Elements Play does. You may be required to convert a few of the video files in compatible formats as you are required in case of WD Elements Play too. I have tested it on my HDTV which is of one of the most popular brands. The benefits, i) a very handy solution as a portable hard disk is of very small size and weight - easy mobility, ii) no separate power cable/ connection required as the device is usb powered & iii) no separate remote required.

Seeing the approach of the manufacturer that it is not going to support the product in future, I downgrade my satisfaction level from 60% expressed earlier to 50%.

Thanks… 

It says on the box it plays MP4s and MKVs. I was rather pleased about getting one because my previous media player didn’t play those formats, I had to spend 2 or 3 hours converting, and also almost pointless converting MKVs as it makes the picture quality suffer. Then to find out after trying a few MP4s and MKVs on my new player that they all suffer from bad audio and video sync issues. I feel lied to. They got a sale by lying… pretty much. And apparently there will be no more firmware updates to fix this.

I have the same problem when I play the 720p dts.x264 MKV files, there is no sound but only video

goodgood wrote:

I have the same problem when I play the 720p dts.x264 MKV files, there is no sound but only video

As I answered in your other post, the Elements Play Gen 1 does not support DTS audio.   It’s not licensed for DTS.

I reformatted my 1TB My Passport Essential SE (USB 3.0) . Now I want the WD Smartware application back for the back-up. I tried the solution on this site:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-Smartware/WD-SmartWare-won-t-install/td-p/208222

but still it doesn’t work and prompts “The Program Doesn’t Start From Drive”
I also tried downloading and installing the softwares on this site:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/search/1/a_id/5419

still receiving the same prompts.

I need help! thank you.

Hi all,

My WD Elements Play cannot play many videos, some videos can be played but have no sound. Can someone please help me? 

P/N: WDBACC0020HBK-00

Firmware version: 1.01.12