WD elements 2TB failure

I hope someone can help me witht his issue.
I have a WD elemts 2TB ( WDBAAU0020HBK ) and my Desktop and Laptop won’t recognize it anymore. The Desktop is running vista and the laptop is windows 8.1. Both my machines make the sound when a usb is connected and it shows up  the “safely remove hardware” option but it never opens. every other device registers on both my machines and i’ve tried various cables and usb slots with no luck. It started having trouble about 3 weeks ago when it was making a loud hiss i stopped using it and it doesn’t make the hissing sound anymore. I am willing to open this thing up and tinker with it if that’s the solution, I’d rather not lose my data.
thanks in advance.

P.S.
I used the Western Digital Lifegaurd Diagnostics and get the error codes:

Test Option: QUICK TEST
Model Number: WD Ext HDD 1021

Firmware Number: 2002
Capacity: 2000.40 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 06-Quick Test on drive 2 did not complete! Status code = 03 (Fatal or unknown error), Failure Checkpoint = 98 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 2!
Test Time: 09:56:43, December 05, 2014

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
Model Number: WD Ext HDD 1021
Unit Serial Number: [Deleted]
Firmware Number: 2002
Capacity: 2000.40 GB
SMART Status: PASS
Test Result: FAIL
Test Error Code: 08-Too many bad sectors detected.
Test Time: 10:59:50, December 05, 2014

Hi there and welcome to the WD community.

Try to use the drive on a different computer to see if the drive does show. Also try to connect the unit directly to the wall  outlet so the drive gets more power in case its a power issue.