WD Easystore errors when setting up with Time Machine

Ok here is what I’ve done since I bought the 2TB WD easy store external device for my Mac. I plugged in the USB cord and a window popped up if I wanted to use with Time Machine. I followed the directions to do this, and I got my first error that there was not enough space to do backup. I don’t understand this. I am only using 22GB of data on my Mac, and the easy store is 2TB, so I should have plenty of space.

The next thing a window said before easy store could be used I had to erase the info (was confused by this, because this is my first time using it, so why would there be anything on the easy store device where I’d have to erase it before using it). I erased what ever was on the easy store device, and now every time I plug in the USB cord I get an error that says “The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer”. There are buttons for me to “Initialize”, “Ignore”, or “Eject”. If I select Initialize it brings up Disk Utility. In Disk Utility if I click on the external drive and try to perform any of the utilities (First Aid,Erase, Restore) I get failed messages. It also says “Not Mounted”, but the “Mount” button doesn’t do anything when I click on it.

What the heck do I do to fix this? I just wanted to be able to plug this in, and start backing up my mac laptop.

Hi Smack,

I would like to inform you that the WD Easystore comes pre-formatted in NTFS file system which is compatible with Windows OS, so in order to make it compatible with Mac OS you have to format the drive in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) file system.

If the erase process is getting failed, just try to reboot the computer and try to format the drive again.

Please refer to the link given below for the instruction for how to Partition and Format a WD Drive on Windows and macOS.