WD Discovery on OSX keeps opening and closing

When I start up my computer, WD Discovery opens for a few seconds, closes, then reopens. This keeps happening indefinitely, and it makes the computer basically unusable since it’s impossible to focus on any other app. The only solution I have found is to delete the WD Discovery app.

I am running OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan. WD Discovery does not appear in my startup apps, so that isn’t the solution.

Would appreciate a fix, since this is essentially a fatal bug.

1 Like

@jeremylmartin Have you looked at the Knowledge Base?

@cat0w Yes, I have looked there, including the WD Discovery Solutions and Troubleshooting page. Nothing there describes this problem.

I was playing Sims 2 (an addiction) a few minutes ago, and I took some video captures. When I tried opening and viewing them on Quicktime, OS X started acting up. Finder won’t stop opening and closing now, it opens and closes almost instantly. It all started happening when I tried opening Quicktime.
AppValley 9Apps TweakBox

I also confirm and reiterate that wd discovery has problems installing on my macbook pro 2018. It does not install and continuously install errors. There is no note on how to solve this problem, and this is definitely bad.

I found this new community that you may want to look at and see if an answer can be found there.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/session

Major issue my Macbook Pro 2018 continuously flashes WD to Finder constantly and nothing else can be open. What is the solution?

Not sure if anyone is still looking for a solution, but I think I’ve found one specific to Mac users:

• Go to Mac HD/Library/LaunchAgents

• Then right click on the file called com.wdc.WD-Discovery.plist file and open it with Text Edit

• Change the RunAtLoad key to false

• Then use Save As and place it on your Desktop, it may add the word ‘copy’ to the end of the name.

• Click on the name to edit it and change the name so that the entry is called com.wdc.WD-Discovery.plist ; It may prompt you and ask you if you wish to add the plist extension, if it does then say yes.

• Now drag the updated file back into Mac HD/Library/LaunchAgents where it came from, it will ask if you want to replace or keep both, say replace then you will be prompted for your password.

• Enter you password to complete the copy process.

Thanks SGD1 ! It worked like a charm. Why does Western digital not solving this themselves through an update !!!

Hello. All of the WD software has “issues” in Mojave. I thought that installing WD Discovery would help but I cannot even install the app. The installer launches and starts the installation process as one would expect, more or less, but at 40% it quits and nothing is installed … therefore, I cannot even locate the “com.wdc.WD-Discovery.plist” above mentioned. WD Tech Support –who are only good at reading their silly little troubleshooting schedule (and not good at all at thinking independently) are clueless (who knew!) and insist that their software IS compatible with OS X Mojave … because that’s what they’ve been told to repeat. So when will WD actually provide utilities an the rest that are actually, 100% compatible with Mojave? When 10.15 is released? Thanks. A.C.