Issue with WD discovery and macOS Big Sur

Hi everybody,

ever since updating to macOS Big Sur, I have been experiencing issues when I try to use WD discovery.

I can open the app and log in correctly, but after a while the finder freezes and I cannot use it anymore. The other apps that are already open continue to work (except Safari which can no longer load any pages) but to get the MacBook to work properly I need to restart it. Moreover, the MacBook cannot turn off by itself and I have to press and hold the power button.

If I use force quit on the finder, then I cannot open it again and I have to restart the MacBook anyway.

When this happen, it seems that also the fans speed up a little bit.

I’ve already tried to reinstall the app following the instruction here and to reinstall macOS with Recovery mode. Unfortunately, it didn’t help and I’m still facing the same issue.

Any idea on what might cause it and how to solve it?

Thanks

1 Like

I have the same problem, exactly the same! What we can do?? I would love to get an answer! I am seating here since 2 days and now I found the problem…

same problem here. but lately, I found one “solution” to the hang up BUT NOT the mounting issue.

you just quit the WD discovery app and all the frozen Finder / other app would thaw after 10-15 seconds. Everything back to normal EXCEPT that your My Cloud Home was still not mounted.

I have exactly this problem as well - SO frustrating.
Are there any solutions?

I also find the mounted disk frequently disappears and I have to restart WD Discovery to get it connected again.

If this cannot be solved so that it becomes stable, the device is a good as useless and I will have to return it.

Thanks for help.

5/12/20 I sent a feedback to WD the issue that my drive was OFFLINE
7/12/20 WD replied with some advices (internet connection / led light / reboot / etc.) I tried reboot but still offline. I ignore it and gave up.
~11/12/20 the drive suddenly ONLINE, but I still can’t mount it to my MacBook Air. I then use home.mycloud.com to download the files to my MacBook Air for my daily use. I then uploaded back the files to home.mycloud.com day by day
~3/1/21 WD discovery suddenly worked again and my drive was mounted to my MacBook Air
16/1/21 all the things back to ABNORMAL. hang up when tried mounting my drive.
today I email again WD and now waiting for their reply