WD Backup has stopped working

I’ve had WD Backup installed and running for years now. I last performed a backup April 5th. Today I went to run a backup and it will not open. The Icon is in the taskbar, but if I try and launch the backup nothing happens. If I go into the Start->ALl Programs… and launch WD Backup I get a Windows error popup reporting “WD Backup has stopped working”

I am running Windows 7 x64.

I’ve checked my event viewer and this is what I see:

Application Error

Faulting application name: WDBackupSettings.exe, version: 1.0.6598.18395, time stamp: 0x5a68ccb7
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.24094, time stamp: 0x5abee073
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000c54f
Faulting process id: 0x162c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3d6ac691e5fc4
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Western Digital\WD App Manager\Plugins\WD Backup\App\WDBackupSettings.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: a87c2516-429f-11e8-a1ce-005056c00008

.NET Runtime

Application: WDBackupSettings.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Xml.XmlException
at WesternDigital.Backup.BackupPlanService.LoadSchedule(System.String)
at WesternDigital.BackupSettings.ViewModels.ManageBackupTarget.b__b()
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(System.Object)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)
at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object)
at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window)
at System.Windows.Application.Run(System.Windows.Window)
at WesternDigital.BackupSettings.App.Main()

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software and it made no difference.

Anyone have any ideas.

I did tried contacting WD Support, filled out their online contact form and submitted it only to have that crash and report some error. Just one of those days I guess.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi LookingForHelp,

I would suggest you to refer below mentioned KBA to uninstall and reinstall WD Backup in this concern.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=15142

Sadly, none of the step fixed the issue.

I uninstalled the software (again) ran MS’s fixit, reinstalled it and same problem.
I ran the sfc and no issue were detected.

Hi LookingForHelp … Did you ever get a resolution… I Have the exact same problem on a window 10 64bit Worked for years then stopped.

Here is an extract from my Event Viewer

Level Date and Time Source Event ID Task Category
Error 2018-06-13 6:24:51 PM Application Error 1000 (100) "Faulting application name: WDBackupSettings.exe, version: 1.0.6698.8987, time stamp: 0x5aec5937
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.17134.112, time stamp: 0xc863c6f9
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0010db52
Faulting process id: 0xdf0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d40365589ad758
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Western Digital\WD App Manager\Plugins\WD Backup\App\WDBackupSettings.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: d11eec0f-d0aa-4119-8093-4aedff294337
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID: "

Ok … I think I found the answer … Not only do you have to delete the WD App, You also need to delete the Western Digital directories
under Program Data foulder and also under User\username\appdata\local and roaming. Then reinstall and set up a new plan.

1 Like

I concur. It appears the uninstaller does not properly clean up after itself and the entire issue is related to a corrupted “%appdata%\Western Digital\WD Backup” folder/files.

I deleted the apps, renamed the folder and reinstalled the app and it worked again. I then tried putting back in place the original folder/configuration and it erred again (so it’s definitely that folder causing all the problems).

That said, I have since switched over to Duplicati, tired of fighting with WD software that broke for no reason and which has an incomplete uninstaller.

@alstrachan - Well, here we are, 4 years later, and one of my two installations of WD Backup failed to load; just like what you experienced. After days of searching and tearing my hair out (figuratively), I stumbled upon your answer - and it worked! THANK YOU FOR POSTING THE ANSWER!

I used windows (Win 10) to uninstall WD Backup, went and renamed folders “WD Backup” to “WD Backup - old” in both ProgramData and both user folders (local and roaming). Re-installed (from the WD drive itself), recreated the schedule, and voila! All is happy again.

Also, Thank You to @LookingForHelp for writing that you concurred. That was also helpful and gave me a bit of extra confidence to try this.

Hi, thanks for the solution it works for me too.