WD Backup won't launch (Windows 10)

I’ve been using WD Backup for a couple years now on my PC; including with Windows 10. I tried today to perform a backup via the taskbar, right click WD Backup, “Backup Now”, but nothing happens. I tried going to settings, but the window would not appear (I did notice the loading circle everytime I would try to load it).

I’ve tried updating to the new WD Backup, reinstalling it, making sure I was running in Admin mode, disabling my virus software, and even getting the updated WD Drive Utilities, but to no avail.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi Xgamer125,

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this.

To Contact WD for Technical Support;

https://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en

The link below will allow you to call support.

I am a user of windows 10 and I am using the WD backup for a long time. but from the last week I tried a alot to perform backup on my PC but I am unable to do that.I have also checked Microsoft Support Canada to know about this.I have performed all the guidelines and also tried to contact with your technical department.So may I know any solution of this problem??

I’m having the same problem. I’ve been running WD Backup for > a year without issue, doing monthly backups. But today the app won’t launch – spins briefly and then nothing happens. I tried uninstalling, rebooting, then reinstalling – same thing.

Next, I downloaded a newer version of WD Backup and installed it. It allowed this, knowing it was a new version. But it still won’t run. Trying to initiate a backup from the installer says the drive is already assigned to a backup and to use a different tab. But there’s no tab because the app won’t run.

This broke within the last month. WD, what’s going on? How do I get it to run?

hello, I also have the same problem on my pc, the application does not launch, I also reinstalling the application but nothing changes.

i have same troubles. i wrote to tech support this " I UNINstalled and installed again on my thinkpad. i go to the wdbackup.exe and nothing happens. if i go to WDDiscovery.exe a message comes up “No Connected devices”;. i installed wd drive utilities and it starts. this drive works because i backed up my desktop windows XP today. And it performed well on same laptop in May 2018, i have those files backed up. but it will not restart now for some reason. pls help"
lets see how they answer. i am using windows 8.1, has anybody updated their drive’s firmware? results?

I am having the same issue as of a month ago. Last back up was Aug 2019. I installed the new WD Discovery suite, and updated all of the WD Apps (Backup, Utlilties, Security). Backup won’t run. Utilities works. Security doesn’t let me do anything, I can try to remove password, doesn’t work.

What’s going on with this software?

I’m on Win10

I also have the same problem on my pc, the application does not launch, I also reinstalled the application but nothing works. WD Backup quit working early 2020 (after a WDBackup update).
Tried reinstalling multiple times over the last 6-8 months. Also, uninstalled and removed WD directories, and checked several Services were set to AUTO as instructed by ‘Support’.
After all of this, they sent me to 2nd Tier Support recently. They got on our computer remotely and quickly unistalled/reinstalled WD Backup. STILL NOTHING.
*Support Tech said 'we changed our software - you can’t backup from one USB external drive to another USB external drive". what??? We’ve been doing THAT for 2.5 years- perfectly. BOTH drives were purchased together 3 yrs ago(Easystore 8tb). THEN he said “I can show you how to Copy/Paste!” (can you believe THAT?) Told him we wanted a WD document pertaining to ‘not being able to backup USB to USB drive’. OR in writing in his email with Case#. He said he would - he didn’t.

• STILL, we can’t even do a backup of the main drive - (C/user data) that WD Backup automatically creates when installed. So, it won’t even do a backup from onboard SSD to either of the Easystore 8tb.
    [They are now 1.5 hrs late for a scheduled call-back from Tier2 Support] - guess we will have to call and sit on hold to be told that 'there is no Tier2 Support Techs available NOW.

• Is anyone tired of spending days and days trying to get simple info from WD Support?

• Any suggestions on another BACKUP software we could use? After 30+ years of using WDBackup we are tired of the chicanery. (Doesn’t any company do beta testing anymore?)

Support is of no assistance with this issue at all. (Months without a backup)

I have posted this answer for a few similar questions…

This has plague me for over two years. Finally figured it out. Go to:

C:\Users[Customer User Account]\AppData\Roaming\Western Digital\WD Backup\

Delete the .schedule file for each backup. Most people probably have just one file to delete, but there is one .schedule file for each backup you have setup. Deleting this file will not delete your backup schedule, a new .schedule file will be created when you open the interface via the tray icon or starting the program.

This allows you to run the program normally again without losing any progress or settings.

Cheers.

4 Likes

Was starting to have this problem a few weeks ago, YOU FOUND THE FIX!!! WORKS PERFECTLY!!!

Thank you so much; after a week or so, I had no solution to this problem, and this fixed it instantly!

Published 01/27/2021 | Updated 02/14/2022

WD Backup End of Support

Answer ID 30113

WD Backup is a utility with the ability to schedule automated backups at periodic intervals which will take place without requiring user input.

WD is focused on providing exceptional customer experiences with our products. With that focus, from time to time we retire legacy software products that are no longer consistent with WD’s customer experience ecosystem. Support for WD Backup has ended and is no longer covered under our software support lifecycle. You may continue to use your product and related applications. Software purchases, licenses, updates and technical support are no longer provided for WD Backup.

Acronis True Image for Western Digital can be used instead.

WD Backup can be downloaded here.

i have been cursing WD all day today - wasted a day of my life. This fix worked - I just need to remember where to find this file in future.
Just remember that the App data file is typically now a hidden file in windows 10 so you need to view hidden files.

thanks a lot for this fix just puzzling that WD haven’t fixed it.

I’ve been struggling with this for years. Uninstalled, but always tried again because i cannot find any other (free) backup program that i like. Now i found your solution and i am so grateful that i even created an account at WD community in order to like your answer!!! Thanks again!!!