Warranty/USB issue

Hey guys.
So I have a WD My Passport 1TB HDD, and months ago it had a defective USB (one of the contact pins on the drive itself broke off so it’s not getting power, before that it wasn’t getting recognized unless I moved it around). I was wondering if sending in the drive would actually cost me money since my drive is STILL under warranty (yes I checked and I’m 1000001% positive) so that I can make necessary arrangements to get the drive sent out, if any. If yes/no, I would send the drive in a well-packaged package, right?

Also since it’s a USB issue, do you guys think the USB port (micro USB-B 3.0 type, HDD is non-SATA so port is attached straight to the board which is why my data cannot be accessed) itself would be fixed or it would STILL be fixed, but then I will get a replacement with none/all/some of my data on it? I have over 500GB of stored data on it which include music and backups from multiple computers.

Thanks for taking your time to read my question, and have a nice day!
I will update you as time goes on.

~K.

Hi thech0senone,

As there is no external damage on the hard drive which is visible, You can apply for the replacement for the drive under warranty and read the warranty policy before applying for the replacement from the link given below.

https://support.wdc.com/warranty/warrantypolicy.aspx?lang=en

You can also contact WD Support team for the same issue from the below given links.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
https://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en
The link below will allow you to call support.

Thanks for the links. I went ahead and did the RMA request.
But now I’m concerned if I an getting the data back or not, due to it not being actual damage to my data itself. Do I get my data back on the replacement drive?

~Kay

Hi thech0senone,

Unfortunately, when a drive is received at our facility after RMA, it is put through a rigorous testing process for analysis. During this process, all data on the drive is completely erased, and therefore irrecoverable.If data recovery is desired, it must be performed before returning the drive.

You may refer this KBA for more further details:

Well that is bad. I have over 500GB worth of very important stuff on that drive, and looks like just one pin broke off and it’s not getting power. Guess I will have to send it to a hard drive repair shop then.