My USB cable is faulty [My Passport Ultra 2TB]

I bought a WD My Passport Ultra 2TB just over a year ago so its still under warranty. It has never been dropped or tampered with and there isnt a scratch on it. I love it and have had no problems until now.

The USB 3.0 cable for my WD product is faulty.

My laptop shows my WD product as connected and then disconnected and so on rapidly if there is any movement of the cable where it connects to my laptop. If I keep it absolutely still, its fine.

I then realized that the problem lay in the cable by testing my WD product with another USB 3.0 cable.

With a different cable, the harddrive works fine.

So I created a Support Case, I’m just curious as to what will happen now.

1. Does the warranty cover the cable as well?

2. Will a new cable be shipped to me?

Welcome to the Community.

Yes, USB cables are covered under warranty.

I have a defective USB 3 cable with my 2TB WD Passport that I just purchased. With a lot of wiggling the cable about it finally is recognizing the drive is there, however another USB 3 cable and the drive works just fine. 

I’m not familiar with the RMA process here. Bear with me, but does the external drive have to be returned as well or just the cable? There doesn’t seem to be a way to report just the cable, as I only see the drives under warranty.

gup07 wrote:

I have a defective USB 3 cable with my 2TB WD Passport that I just purchased. With a lot of wiggling the cable about it finally is recognizing the drive is there, however another USB 3 cable and the drive works just fine. 

I’m not familiar with the RMA process here. Bear with me, but does the external drive have to be returned as well or just the cable? There doesn’t seem to be a way to report just the cable, as I only see the drives under warranty.

You do not need to submit an actual RMA. You only need to contact WD Support and directly request a USB cable. The cable will be shipped after all required information (Drive’s serial number, owner registration info, shipping address) is provided to the agent. 

To Contact WD for Technical Support
http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Support by Country
http://support.wdc.com/country/index.asp

Hey

I contacted support, was given a reference number () and was asked for my address to send me a new cable.
Its been 6 days and I haven’t received a reply or a cable.
Also, I sent one additional email requesting an update on the situation and I didn’t get a reply to that either.
Getting tired of poor service!

When was the last E-mail sent? Responses are usually provided within 24 hours. Regarding shipping, USB cables and Power Adapters are shipped using the United States Postal Service (USPS) and the usual turn-around time for delivery is 7-10 business days from the creation of the order. This information should have been provided by the Support Agent.