Video thumbnails

My apologies if it’s been asked already…I don’t see it.  I just purchased the Gen 1 WD Media Player over the weekend.  Love it.  Now I keep seeing places about where you can use the movie covers in your videos list for the movies thumbnail image instead of just there standard thumbnail image.  Is this true?  If so…how do I do that?  I can’t figure it out. 

Does anyone know if this is even possible or am I hearing wrong?

I have my WDTV for many time and as far as I know it is not possible.

I have the “video thumbnails” saved as a separate .jpg images, so first I look the images and the the video.

You just need a JPEG in the same folder as the movie.  The JPEG file must have exactly the same name as the movie file, except of course the extension.  Example:

spiderman.mkv

spiderman.jpg

Or with MP4 files you can embed a jpeg within the mp4 file using a tagging program.

Details are in the firmware release notes on the WD website (assuming the ones for the WD gen1 are still there).

breatheoflife wrote:

My apologies if it’s been asked already…I don’t see it.  I just purchased the Gen 1 WD Media Player over the weekend.  Love it.  Now I keep seeing places about where you can use the movie covers in your videos list for the movies thumbnail image instead of just there standard thumbnail image.  Is this true?  If so…how do I do that?  I can’t figure it out. 

That was the trick!  Thank you so much for the help!

Well, i can confirm that the WD TV does not read the embedded thumbnails of MP4 files tagged by MetaX.

Real shame, as MetaX does all the hard work of automatically getting all the thumbnails and movie data from IMDB and attaching it to the MP4 file.

The movie.jpg does work fine.  I just wish i hadn’t spent 3 hours using MetaX to tag my videos :wink:

My mistake, WD TV will read the embedded thumbnail if you rename the file extension to MP4.  MIne were all correctly done as m4v (MPEG4 video as distinct from m4a MPEG4 audio). Calling something MP4 is just confusing, is it video or audio?  MPEG4 can be used for both.

Not sure if I am missing something but when I create a folder and put both the movie and the jpeg in there I still don’t get the thumbnail to show the jpeg.  Here is what I am doing:

-Create folder for movie (Robots)

-Put the movie file in the folder (Robots.mkv)

-Put the JPEG in the movie folder (Robots.jpg)

When I go back to see if the image is now there all I see is the folder with no image.

Am I missing something?

try naming the robot cover image folder.jpg, so you should have robot folder and inside have robots.mkv and folder.jpg

When I do this, I get the video thumbnails, but now in my “Photos” section I get all these stupid movie covers appearing!  How can I stop the video thumbnail images showing up in the “Photos” section of WD TV?

I know it is going to be anoying, but insted of look for the pictures as a whole, try the folder option, try to separate all your media via subfolders, ej: movies, pictures, music … then, when you want to look for pictures only, go to the folder selection on the main menu of the wd and you will only see the pictures within that specific folder. Hope this help you.

Cheers