Video Freezes

Hi,

I have a WD HD TV (Gen1) WDAV with the latest Current Firmware – 1.03.01 (11/2009)

I am having troubles watching my videos.

At the beginning there doesn’t seem te be any problems. But in the middel of the video, the video suddenly freezes. And I can’t FastForward or Rewind the video.

I can go back to the menu, but if I want to start the video where it freezed. The video restarts at the beginning.

I don’t know if this is because of the new firmware. But it’s very anoying watching my videos like this.

Hope someone can help me with this.

You might be having the same problem im having. The video freezes and exits to menu then you have to FF to where you were. I am getting this checked out by tech support.

Same here with my Gen 1 WD TV on 1.03 firmware… but mine doesn’t freeze it just exits the video and returns to the file browser … playing the video again doesnt resume where it left off so I have fast forward. It’s very annoying.

I’ve also contacted WD Support regarding this.

Does it happen at the same spot each time? I have a similar problem and everytime it gets to a particular point in the movie, it stops and exits to the file menu. If you’re lucky  (and I know some of you aren’t), you can resume the movie to the point before it stopped. So once it starts playing again, just fast-forward it, and press next (to jump 10mins). You’ll skip the scene, of course, --as well as 10 mins after-- but it’ll let you play the rest of the movie. You can always rewind it to right after the problematic scene, if you want. I have a feeling it’s the hard disk I’m using (which so happens to be WD, mind you) but until we hear something from WD, hope this helps!

Same problem here, just logged a call. Am very disapointed as this was a gift to me on my request. Wishing I had suggested another device now!

Pretty much describes the problems I have had since I first purchased my WD TV. Play a movie, MKV or AVI and well into it when it stops with all the same symptoms. I have tried all variation of Firmware versions up to 1.3. I also thought it was the USB drive but I have boiught with the second being a Western Duigital hoping the vendor match would help but no luck.  I am abiout to try and figure out which format to convert to and try another approach. Its a shame but now that I see so many others with the same problems I believe the root cause to be software/firmware related. My TV is a Samsung 720P Plasma. Any one with a solution I would just fall off my chair. Once I solve my problem I wil be posting in CAPS the solution. My wife now feels I have wasted my money on the purchase. Help.

Sorry I can’t help with your video problem, I haven’e seen this at all.

But I have a similar type of freezing problem, but it is not video related and only started after I updated my unit to V1.3 firmware. It only seems to happen when playing audio (music) after the WD screen saver has appeared the system no longer responds to the remote control, but the audio just carries on playing until the end of the album and the only way of getting back is to actually turn the power off/on. It doesn’t seem to matter what for the music is in either as I have tried FLAC, MP3, WAV, etc; or the USB carrier either have tried USB sticks, memory card/reader and 2 different HDD’s.

It is connected t a Samsung LCD via HDMI and an AV amp via optical. Can anyone help at all with this?

I have/had the same video frezing problems, i read these forums before it tried any home brew fixes(convert to different format, change and reformat so on). What i descovered is what i suspected, it the hard drive not the player, more than likely there is a bad sector not causing large problem atm but its there and for some reason it causing the wd player to not play files properly.

Try multiple drives if like me you have sever large storage devices try the none working file and see if you can get it to work on a different device. i found using a small usb  zip drive with the same file worked perfectely fast forward stop and replay function was working, i also tried turing the player on and off and i recieved the same results.

So don’t rule out its the storage device over  the player, try different combinations, im going back to check other files and see if they also play with no problem.

i’ll repost with the results and models and makes of working and non working drives when i get a chance.

I have the same freezing problem with 1080p video. The 720 is ok. Is this manufacturing problem?

//Quantin

HI all. I’ve the same problem, but I think this is just on 1080 mkv file. I’ve played a couple of avi file and the problem doesn’t occur. Not very cool :frowning:

It’s not the hard drive. I have tried 2 different USB hard drives (3.5-inch) and a USB flash drive. All had videos locking up at random locations. It’s not the files either as they will lock up at different points when you power cycle the WD TV player.

It has happened to all but one of my MKV videos that I have played so far. Running firmware 1.01.77.

Although I like the Western Digital WD TV it is really upsetting me that this happens so much. If the device needed more memory buffer to prevent this then they should have done so before releasing the product to the market.

I can only hope that third party firmware comes out for the Gen 2 as well. Maybe that will resolve issues.

I am having a similar kind of problem.

When i play movies they sometimes (1 out of 3) just freeze.

When this happens, i cant rewind or fast forward anymore.

All i can do is go back to the menu. In this menu i see my movie title among witth the audio icon!

That is really strange since i never used the audio player.

The problem is, if i start a (same or different) movie, i get to see the frozen screen right a way and cannot watch anything else.

I mailed it to WD, i keep u guys informed.

I am having exactly the same problem but the MKV files freeze everytime at 7min 32 secs. Only just started as have been watching these files with no problem for a while now. haven’t done anything to box at all to start this problem off.

Hi! i have the same problem when I try to play movies from my hard disks (My Passport SE: 750GB and 1TB), movies are .avi mostly. What is very odd for me, the same movies from SD cards (by USB reader) are played fluently, without any problems. I am sure, that the transfer from hard drive is much faster than from  flash card - what can it be?

Same problem here.

The player worked fine until lately, now every video freezes. VOBs, MKVs, the format doesn’t matter.

I tried 2 different harddrives, updated the firmware, but nothing helped.

And warranty run out 3 month ago. Really great.

:frowning:

Any hope that WD will look into this?

I have the same trouble, please WD tech please send us a response for this trouble or are work in the solution.

:angry:e same trouble, please WD tech send us a response for this trouble or are work in the solution.

frustratedByWD wrote:

Same problem here.

The player worked fine until lately, now every video freezes. VOBs, MKVs, the format doesn’t matter.

I tried 2 different harddrives, updated the firmware, but nothing helped.

And warranty run out 3 month ago. Really great.

:frowning:

Any hope that WD will look into this?

Have you tried a hard reset (unplugging and pushing the little button in the little hole)? This seems to fix problems where something worked at one time and then either gradually or all at once just stopped.

As far as your question of any hope that WD wil look into this…I’d say no. That haven’t responded to more widespread issues so I doubt they’d get excited over this. Sorry.

nijaju wrote:

Have you tried a hard reset (unplugging and pushing the little button in the little hole)? This seems to fix problems where something worked at one time and then either gradually or all at once just stopped.

Thank you for your advice! Yes, I have tried that too, didn’t change anything.

nijaju wrote:

As far as your question of any hope that WD wil look into this…I’d say no. That haven’t responded to more widespread issues so I doubt they’d get excited over this. Sorry.

This is really great customer support from WD. I’m afraid I will have to add them to my ‘never-again list’.

Do you know if there is a hacked firmware? I think I remember reading something about a homebrew frimware a while ago. Maybe I should give that a try. It can’t get any worse…

Can anyone recommend any other, WORKING mediaplayers?

Thanks for your help!

I’m in the exact boat as the rest of the guys here!

What the hell??

Is there a fix?

Is there anything to do???

The new firmwars 1.01.77 makes it worse!!

ANYONE??!?!!    BUELLER!?!!!