WD TV Live HD Media Player - playback freeze issue

I appreciate that this issue has been discussed at length but I am not sure the experience I am having has been.

I have successfully used a Sony 16GB USB 2.0 memory stick to playback media files of shows for some time but for about a year I did not use the box. I recently resumed using it and almost immediately I encountered a problem where the box freezes after about 20 minutes of play. I cannot restart the video and even a cold reset results in the device claiming that the ‘file format is not supported’. I assumed that it was the USB stick and I bought a Samsung M3 500GB USB 2/3 portable hard drive. I experience the same problem.

The weird thing is that if I checkdisk the drive after the freeze it returns bad sectors and needs to correct them. At this point I always decide to reformat the hd and then transfer the file again and do a final chkdsk to ensure there are no problems.

Even then eventually the video freezes. I wondered if it was that in the year since I was using the device the encoding of files had changed and the device could not cope with the new format, so I updated to the latest firmware 1.06.43. I have never updated the firmware since obtaining the box about 3-4 years ago.

I thought that had cracked the problem but in fact the problem returned tonight.

The worrying aspect is what appears to be a sector corruption on the disk (this also happened with the USB stick).

Any ideas, or fixes? All thoughts would be gratefully received and if there is already and answer in the forum then I’d be grateful if someone can direct me to it.

Thanks

Big

The withdrawn 1.06.34 seems to have introduced a bug that apparently is still present in 1.06.43: random AVI files being converted to folders. Maybe what you’re seeing is somewhat related so a rollback to 1.16.15 (or 1.05.04 if you need autoframe) might do the trick. OTOH, recently I’ve been getting the " file format not supported" bug on the Live Streaming…