Very fast transfer speed (58.6 MB/s)

I just wanted to post a pic of a typical file transfer from my EX2 to my Windows 7 laptop.

Since I am seeing many folks complaining about slow speed of transfers on this forum all the time, I thought I’ll post a pic of my EX2’s read speed…because there are many of us who actually get very good speeds out of the EX2 but since it is working fine we just don’t post about it here…so the messages on this forum give off a skewed image. This isn’t to say that some folks are not having slow transfer issues, but this is to say that many are also getting pretty decent transfer speeds out of their EX2.

I have a gigabit Netgear router to which the My Cloud EX2 is attached via the supplied Cat 5e cable and then a Cat 6 cable connects the router to a Netgear gigabit switch and then another Cat 6 cable goes from the switch to my laptop. So essentially a gigabit wired network through and through. The files I copied in the picture took about 15 minutes or so to copy - totaling 85 GB. And I have a single WD Red drive in my EX2 running in JBOD mode.

I also have static IP assigned to my EX2 on my router (not on the EX2). I also get very decent speed from outside the network via SFTP but that’s for another time. I have port forwarding setup on my router but that’s used only for SFTP and FTP from outside the network (outsde my home). The speed I mention below is for moving files within my network by opening the EX2 share from My Network and simply dragging and dropping the files onto my desktop.

The read speed at start was 52.5 MB/sec and continued to rise - the screenshot was taken near the end of the file copy at which time the speed had reached 58.6 MB/sec. The copy finished within a minute after the screenshot.

EX2ReadSpeed.jpg

1 Like

Hi Cybernut, I cant see the photo u posted.

sequalancer wrote:

Hi Cybernut, I cant see the photo u posted.

Hmm, I can see it…but I have noticed sometimes on others’ posts I cannot see their pics for a few hours but it eventually shows up.

But in any case I copied the pic over here as well →   http://imgur.com/di907nR

Wow! u got a pretty good speed :wink: I’m only getting average 10MB/s when trying to upload 17GB video file which takes about 25 minutes to complete.

. Screen Shot 2014-05-15 at 8.46.48 pm.png

Now, I can’t see your screenshot :slight_smile:

Assuming it shows the speed that you said, please tell me:

• What OS are you using - Windows, MacOS or something else? Not that it matters but knowing this helps me understand your situation better.

• What mode are you running your EX2 drives in - RAID 0, RAID 1 or JBOD?

• Are those speeds you mentioned consistent? Can you check what kind of speeds you get when you do a little larger batch of transfer - say a chunk of 60-120 GB (containing a few big files) during both copying to and from the EX2?

• What router and switches (if any) are you using in your network - specific models of the router and switches plase? How are you connected i.e. how is the EX2 and your computer connected?

I get exactly the same speeds as Cybernut, the only difference is I have mine using DHCP, however I have reserved the IP for the EX2 in the routers DHCP server. 

I have to believe that there is something else wrong with those who are reporting slow speeds.  Either the EX2 is just simply bad, or they have an unidentified problem within their network infrastructure that is causing the problem.

sequalancer wrote:

Wow! u got a pretty good speed :wink: I’m only getting average 10MB/s when trying to upload 17GB video file which takes about 25 minutes to complete.

. Screen Shot 2014-05-15 at 8.46.48 pm.png

That looks like you’re connected with Wireless or Fast Ethernet speeds, not Gig. 

That’s interesting, I thought I’m getting a pretty good speed of 10MB/s. 

Well, I’m using OS 10.9.2 and Windows 7, the speed is the same and quite consistent. My drives are running in RAID1 configuration without any encryption. As for the network, I’m using Asus RT-N66U, both my imac and ex2 are connected to this router with static IP.

To add on, I’m connected via LAN cable(Cat6e). I noticed the upload speed will be much more slower if I were to use WD My Cloud Apps to do the uploading. After some troubleshooting, I decided to give up on using WD inhouse app to do the file transfer.

Though I still cannot see your screenshot but as TonyPh12345 mentioned above, the reason you are probably getting such slow speed (as possibly many others are) is because you are likely using the wifi connection. In Windows 7, even if you have a wired ethernet cable plugged in, I realized over a year ago that for laptops (which almost all have wifi today) the default connection used is wifi - if for some reason wifi fails THEN does Windows 7 switch over to wired connection. And obviously a wired connection will give you much higher speeds - wired connection is the whole pupose most of us wanted to use a NAS in the first place. To use wifi to transfer files defeats the purpose of having a NAS hooked up to your network via a wired connection.

BTW, to check wthther or not your Windows is using wired connection when plugged in, go to Network and Sharing Center control panel and then from menu choose Advanced → Advanced Settings (see pic below or this alternate pic is it’s not visible below →   http://imgur.com/mcPuqy7 )

Then in Advanced Settings ensure that Local Area Connection is listed at the top of connections (like in pic below or in this alternate link → http://imgur.com/tfoFjQF )- IF IT IS NOT then use the arrows on the right (circled in the pic) to move the Local Area Connection to the top of the list. ONLY THEN will your Windows computer be using the wired connection over wifi anytime the cable is plugged in.

In addition, you are using RAID 1. RAID 1, which performs simultaneous identical writes on both drives will especially hurt the speed of writing files. So combine RAID 1 write speed with a wif connection and you will get a pretty dismal speed, even on newer AC wifi routers than compared to wired connections with JBOD mode. There are always going to be tradeoffs - do you want to use wifi for convenience over wired for speed? Do you want to use RAID 1 for drive redundance (data protection from failures) versus JBOD for speed? Only you can make those decisions.

Thank you for replying. I would like to clarify that I’m using a wired connection speed not wireless as I have my wireless connection disabled at all times. I have done some research on raid configuration knowing that it does contribute to the speed of writing files and I’m quite satistied with the decent speeds now comparing to tortise slow speed when using wd apps :smiley: Cheers 

By the way, i notice that the snapshot of my EX2 is always indicating the same without any changes in temperatures/fan speed even the physical HDD is burning HOT and the fan speed shows 0 rpm all the times. Is this normal? I have attached a screenshot for your reference. 

Okay, so you have completely disabled your wifi then. Sorry, I didn’t see that in time so I editedmy last post adding some more info to make sure you are using the wifi connection. Well, it might be useful for somebody else perhaps in the future…so Ill leave that additional info and screenshots. But I think you should be getting much better speeds if you are indeed using wired connection, than what you are getting now…even if you are satisfied with the speed you are currently getting :slight_smile:

I think even when the drives get very hot after long sustained disk reads/writes, they are usually within the normal operating temperature range. I am not sure why your fan shows 0 RPM - but the best way to know ifthe fan is working or not is to bring your ear close to the back of the unit…you would feel slight warm air flowing out and would hear the very low noise of a fan blowing. Most of the time my fan doesn’t kick in but I have seen it sometimes kick in - although never really checked on what the dashboard diagnostics say.

Ya, not until it bothers me again  ;D

Well, from what I have observered the fan never kick in even when the temperature is freaking hot that I can even fry an egg with it. I’m thinking of getting a cooling pad to place under it to deal with the heat.

Anws thank you very much for sharing the info.

sequalancer wrote:

Well, from what I have observered the fan never kick in even when the temperature is freaking hot that I can even fry an egg with it. I’m thinking of getting a cooling pad to place under it to deal with the heat.

Pull a diagnostics report fromt he Web UI.   There’s a file in the report with the name “smart” in it.

Paste the contents of that file (but redact the serial number.)

I’m curious just how hot your system is.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Pull a diagnostics report fromt he Web UI.   There’s a file in the report with the name “smart” in it.

Paste the contents of that file (but redact the serial number.)

I’m curious just how hot your system is.

TonyPh12345,

I found out that you can run this test from dashboard’s Settings → Utilities → System Diagnostics → System Test.

But I only got the result in a popup browser window and that too it was just a bunch of green checks. Based on your comment above it sounds like there is a report file generated somewhere. Can you please clarify where and what filename is it? I am curious and want to look at my stats too.

Yes, and I just remember you can get SMART data directly from the UI on the EX4.  I think the Mirror has the same UI?

Go to main menu, select STORAGE, Disk Status, and click the SMART DATA link.

It will show the drive temperature.

To get the diagnostic report, log in to the UI, click the HELP (?) button at the top, select Support, and then select “Create and Save” system report.

To get the smart data go to the storage menu item, click on disk status on the left then click where it says Smart Data.  I must tell you though that I dont believe what it says.  MIne says that the current temp of drive 1 is 107C (224.6F) and drive 2 is 106C.  The “Raw” value is 45 and the “Worst” is 99.  Since the curent value is higher than the worst and the drive is certainly not 200+ degrees according to my calibrated finger tip I have to assume that this data is highly suspect.

**EDIT**

One other thing, I have never seen my fan run on this unit and it is warm enough that I do think it should be running.  WD needs to address this issue.

Hi Tony, as requested I have paste the details below. The current temperature is taken in idle mode.

----------------------------------Drive1------------------------------------------------------

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate 0x002f 200 200 051 Pre-fail Always - 0
3 Spin_Up_Time 0x0027 192 179 021 Pre-fail Always - 3383
4 Start_Stop_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 202
5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0033 200 200 140 Pre-fail Always - 0
7 Seek_Error_Rate 0x002e 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 0
9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 411
10 Spin_Retry_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 0
11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032 100 253 000 Old_age Always - 0
12 Power_Cycle_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 13
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 5
193 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 202
194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 095 091 000 Old_age Always - 52
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 0
197 Current_Pending_Sector 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable 0x0030 100 253 000 Old_age Offline - 0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate 0x0008 100 253 000 Old_age Offline - 0

----------------------------------Drive2------------------------------------------------------

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate 0x002f 200 200 051 Pre-fail Always - 0
3 Spin_Up_Time 0x0027 183 174 021 Pre-fail Always - 3808
4 Start_Stop_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 207
5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0033 200 200 140 Pre-fail Always - 0
7 Seek_Error_Rate 0x002e 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 0
9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 411
10 Spin_Retry_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 0
11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032 100 253 000 Old_age Always - 0
12 Power_Cycle_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 13
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 5
193 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 208
194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 095 091 000 Old_age Always - 52
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 0
197 Current_Pending_Sector 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable 0x0030 100 253 000 Old_age Offline - 0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate 0x0008 100 253 000 Old_age Offline - 0

Vertech: Which column are you reading?  The “Current” or the “Raw” value?   I think “Current” column is misnamed.  The column should just read “Value.”

sequalancer:  Your temperatures are normal; only 52C.