Use My Cloud Home with Finder WITHOUT WD'S app

How can i just connect to my My Cloud Home as a server as a registered user (just like is possible with My Cloud drives)? I just can’t seem to do it on my Mac running High Sierra. I just want to access the drive as a server without using’s WD app.

2 Likes

In short you can’t. you can mount the public share like a normal network drive but you must log in a guest. The private user space can only be mounted using WD Discovery. The My Cloud Home is not a traditional NAS.

■■■■, but why though haha? It seems so stupid to me that you can login as a guest but not just with a password.

2 Likes

I have exaclty same question and wanna hear the “long answer” :sunglasses:
I have 3 macs in my home and 2 pcs, and I really don’t like to install and setup one by one.
Much better if we can just create user/login and access it like a normal server. I understand WD are trying to create something new, but give us the chance to choose what we think is the better option.

Second, I tried the transfer speeds mounting the “guest” TimeMachineBackup (afp) and it is about 90MB/s write and 100MB/s read, against 35MB/s write and 80MB/s read using the “Cloud” volume (KDDFUSE), and it needs the WD app to be mounted. It’s really not practical or secure, because WD can stops to support it in the future and my files will be inaccessible.

To me it makes the WD Cloud option useless, so I will only be able to use it as a guest unsecured LAN hard drive.

Please WD, give us the option to choose and access our files without your software and with the best performance!

2 Likes

it was working smooth on my iPad Pro when it was running on ios 10 however as I have updated to ios 11.3 whenever now I am opening the app it only loads a blank screen on the start up and crashes after a while automatically. How do I fix it?

thanks&regret
ViaMichelin Google Earth

Old topic, but still. Does this situation has changed?

Nop !
I was going to send an email to CCC before checking. They say it’s not possible : Choisir un disque de sauvegarde | Carbon Copy Cloner | Bombich Software

I don’t understand why WD need to use a proprietary application, FUSE and other crazy things just to mount a drive on the mac. CCC can’t handle it, so I use Forklift to sync my folders.