USB-C to Thunderbolt 2?

Will you make a USB-C to thunderbolt 2 cable for G drives?

USB and TB2 are not compatible and you cannot adapt between TB3 and TB2 via cable, it needs to be an adapter. Apple makes them.

Okay, thanks.

A.

I have an Apple TB3 to TB adapter, but this does not enable my MacBook Pro to see my USB-C out G-Drive. My understanding is that the USB-C and TB3 fit the same connector but have different pin-out.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I’m wondering if you might be able to help me out with a similar situation and see if you found a solution.

I just purchased the Apple USB-C (thunderbolt 3) to Thunderbolt 2 adaptor as well as a Thunderbolt 2 cable. The adaptor which is said to work “bi-directionally.”

But I am also not seeing it fire up or mount to my desktop. Were you able to come up with any solution?

I’m running early 2015 MacBook pro with High Sierra
G-Tech Drive USB-C (4TB)

Drive obviously has the USB-C port and MacBook pro has the thunderbolt 2 port.

Thanks for anything you might find helpful.

Looks like the best we can do is the USB-C to USB-A cable. The simple adapter, TB3 to TB2, does not do it. The drive should work on a new Macbook that has TB3 inputs because USB-C and TB3 are compatible. But ■■■■■ for us with older Macbooks.

Andrew

I am slowing accepting this fact. I appreciate the response Andrew.

I also just got this response from G-Tech support.

"The reason the drive is not detected is because you are trying to use a USB-C only device via a Thunderbolt port.

The drive is a USB-C 3.1 device, not a Thunderbolt device, in order to use the drive, yo will need to connect it to a USB-C port on the computer."

This of course seems confusing because the box says “thunderbolt” compatible.

Picture of BOX

agree!

Best,

Andrew

I am having the same problem. I just spent over $250 to get this to work and on the box it says it will work… anyone find a solution???

Thank you in advance

Thunderbolt compatible is due to the Mac TB3 port ALSO being a USB 3.1 port. No other system has this ability as Apple patented it. In a Windows PC for instance they can have TB3 ports and USB C ports but they will be separate.

It is a technology that uses the same port type but are different incompatible interfaces unless inside of a MacBook Pro late 2016 till now or iMac from 2017 on.