Upgrade from Twonky 5.1.9

Im using a My book Live and townky 5.1.9 to stream media to my samsung tv’s. The issue i have with this is that a lot of mp4 files refuse to play on my samsung TV.

Would an update to twonky 7 fix this? and is this even possible?

another option im considering is buying a WD TV live to stream over the network to both tv’s however im not sure if this will work either. 

any help greatly appreciated thanks.

The MP4 files that you are not able to play, are you able to see those files on the TV? If yes, updating twonky wont make any difference since the files are being served to the TV and the TV is not able to handle the files.

Check if you have any updates available for your TV.

See if the following link helps

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Book-Live/update-twonkyserver/m-p/119792/highlight/true#M441

hi, unfortunatley the files i cant play do not show up on the tv when trying to stream via the twonky server, they will however play and show up when played direct to the tv via usb stick. thanks will give the uodate a go I think. However making do with having twonky 7 on my laptop at the moment and streaming it via that.

One thing you might look at is the size of the MP4 files.  I found that file larger that a certain size, that I cannot remember  now, would not play on my Visio TV.  It has to do with the different encoding method for large files.  

My work around was to go with a Plex server instead using the MBL over DLNA.

Hope this helps.