Unable to map public share of MyBookLive on one of my Win 7 Laptop

Hi

Issue Description
Like many others I am also Unable to map public share of MyBookLive on one of my Win 7 Laptop. Here is a sequence of events:

Sequence of Events
Here are the sequence of events till now

1. Installed MyBookLive
  2. Created two private share Laptop01 and Laptop02.
  3. Map to my first laptop A “Wind 7 Home” to share Laptop01 and map my second laptop B “Win 7 Enterprise” to share Laptop02. Both work fine. I upload the data from both of my laptops into the drive
  4. After 20 days. I am still able to map Laptop B, however unable to map Laptop A with any folder
  5. I am able to access the share Laptop A WebUI, FTP etc but still unable to map the drive

Errors during trial

1. When accessing \MyBookLive\Public from Windows + Run - “The operation being requested was not performed because the user has not been authenticated”
  2. When trying to map the drive \MyBookLive\Public using Windows Wizard, I get the login window. But for “Public” share there is no user/password. So not sure why the authentication popup is coming up. Try giving admin user and password, the popup comes for 3 times and still does not get connected. The error is "You do not have permission to access \MyBookLive\Public. Contact your network administrator to request access

Steps tried till now

1. Restart

2. Changed to a different router and network

3. Removed all network adapters followed by restart

4. Started all services

5. Disabled firewall of both windows and Bit Defender

Kindly help if you have some more suggestions

Regards,
Shubham

Error 1: that error only occurs if you’re trying to connect via WebDAV, instead of a typical Windows Client connection.

I suspect the same problem is causing error 2.

1 Like

Thanks Tony and sorry for the late reply.

I disabled the WebClient service on my laptop. Still its giving me that error when I try to map. I tried using Filezila for FTP access and that works fine. But its even slower than the speeds I got earlier(2-8 mbps).

If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Regards,

Shubham

try mapping it with the command prompt

go to start then run type cmd.exe and hit enter

typing in the following command:

net use n: \\mybooklive\public

If you renamed your device replace “myboolive” with that name. You can also substitute the letter n for any available letter on your system give windows about 30 seconds I can take a minute on rare occasions then hit Win+E and the public share should appear as a mapped network location/drive

Thanks for your reply.

I already tried it. I get following error

C:\Windows\system32>net use * \MyBookLive\Public

Enter the user name for ‘MyBookLive’: admin
Enter the password for MyBookLive:
System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

Regards,

Shubham

net use * \\MyBookLive\Public

If I’m correct your using the “*” in the command so it can map a letter that available automatically right? anyway I ran that same line and I was asked for credentials to map the public share that may be your problem, replace the “*” with a letter and colon like this 

net use n: \\mybooklive\public

* just uses any available drive letter.

If your windows user account doesn’t have admin priv’s, then you need to run the CMD program as administrator.

Thanks for your reply. I have tried it earlier also. Here is the result.

C:\Windows\system32>net use n: \MyBookLive\Public
Enter the user name for ‘MyBookLive’: admin
Enter the password for MyBookLive:
System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

Thanks for your reply. I search for CMD and then right click and select “Run as administrator” option.

Regards,

Shubham

That’s weird… here’s my results…  I’m just typing random garbage for both the UID and password, as they’re not important when accessing a public share.

C:\Users\Tony>net use * \\mybooklive\public
Enter the user name for 'mybooklive': jasdjasdj
Enter the password for mybooklive:
Drive U: is now connected to \\mybooklive\public.

The command completed successfully.

C:\Users\Tony>dir u:
 Volume in drive U is Public
 Volume Serial Number is C1DC-C5A0

Directory of U:\

12/09/2013 07:01 PM <DIR> .
10/27/2013 01:43 PM <DIR> ..
10/14/2011 07:24 PM <DIR> Software
11/30/2013 10:22 AM 8,591 Untitled.png
09/08/2012 04:42 PM 453,660,702 The Big Bang Theory.S01E01.mkv
10/26/2013 03:45 PM <DIR> Shared Music
10/26/2013 03:45 PM <DIR> Shared Pictures
11/07/2013 08:50 AM <DIR> Shared Videos
               2 File(s) 453,669,293 bytes
               6 Dir(s) 935,455,948,800 bytes free

C:\Users\Tony>

Thanks for your reply again.

Yes its very weird. The behaviour you described is the behaviour I get from my other laptop which is running Windows 7 Professional

However from my primary laptop which is running Windows 7 Home Basic I cannot login. 

The weirdest thing is that I used the same laptop(W7HB) to setup the drive and then everything was fine.

I do not remember doing any registry changes myself in last few days that can have caused this issue. But maybe some program did.

WD should have some troubleshooter or logging which can atleast help us detect the issues. Its a shame that we spend our money and then have to spend endless time to fix issues due to faulty software and no support from WD.

Regards,

Shubham

I experienced the problem mapping mybooklive to a drive in Windows 7 enterprise. It was working fine for months and after a power outage it stopped working and could not map the drive anymore, it kept asking for credentials again and again.

I updated the firmware to MyBookLive 02.43.03-022 : Core F/W

After that it mapped in the easiest of all ways:

• start → Computer

• select the “map network drive” tab from the top

• enter the ip address and share \192.162.75.1\Public

• select “reconnect at logon”

• do not select “connect using different credentials”

it just mapped the drive.

Before this solution I tried:

• using the command prompt “net use”, etc.

• set up passwords and user names in mybooklive via the drive website

• firewall is on, I cannot disable it.

ayayay wrote:

I experienced the problem mapping mybooklive to a drive in Windows 7 enterprise. It was working fine for months and after a power outage it stopped working and could not map the drive anymore, it kept asking for credentials again and again.

I updated the firmware to MyBookLive 02.43.03-022 : Core F/W

After that it mapped in the easiest of all ways:

• start → Computer
  • select the “map network drive” tab from the top
  • enter the ip address and share \192.162.75.1\Public
  • select “reconnect at logon”
  • do not select “connect using different credentials”

it just mapped the drive.

Before this solution I tried:

• using the command prompt “net use”, etc.
  • set up passwords and user names in mybooklive via the drive website
  • firewall is on, I cannot disable it.

Uh, Ok –  That’s weird since the Public share NEVER requires specific credentials…

Immidiately after the last firmware update in October I’m suffering the same problem with laptop with Windows 7 Home Basic. It asks login and password before connecting to MBL Public Share. Though I have only to enter any letter (not default admin) in login section and computer connects. No password is required. 

All my other network devices -  laptop with Windows 8 Pro (updated during this time to Windows 8.1), Dune HD mediaplayer, Marantz M-CR603 network player, Philips  Smart TV are connecting to MBL Public automatically.

I have tried all advices and recipes sugested in this thread. Nothing helps.

It seems to me this is some incompatibility of the latest firmware with Windows 7 Home Basic.

Before this firmware update I’ve never faced any problems with my MBL (2TB) for the last 2 years I am using it, updating firrmware regularly.

It’s simple.   When connecting, just tell it to remember your credentials.  It won’t ever ask again.

cap1.png

Thank you very much for your attention. I have done this many times and not loosing hope continue sometimes doing this when starting om my laptop and seeing notion that “windows couldn’t connect to network storage”. It doesn’t help unfortunately.

I think that points to a problem on your computer.   There’s nothing about the My Book Live that makes it specificially incompatible only with Windows 7 Home Basic…

I can’t figure it out. But this happened  immidiately after the last firmware update. MBL reloaded after update and laptop was unable to connect to it automatically. I tried to roll back to a previous firmware, but was unable to do it manually. I have the firmware file, but MBL refuses to install saying something like  “firmware is to old to update”. So I cannot check. 

out of curiosity have you been tinkering with any samba settings? or any other configuration files? I say that becuase I managed to lock myself out of the public share by doing just that.

I haven’t. Because I don’t know how to do it and what to do.