Unable to see files on old MyBook Live

I have an old MyBook Live that I have no used in a long time, but when I set it up again I can no longer see any files or mount any shares. I can connect to the admin UI, and the device shows up in Windows Explorer (using Windows 8.1). I have enabled SMBv1 but still cannot access. When using the setup utility it can detect the device but then gives errors in attached screenshot (saying I cannot copy files, cannot browse shared folders, cannot map a shared folder).

Using CMD prompt on Win8.1 laptop I can get connected by using “net use” commands and list shared folders, but cannot list any files.

Here some example commands…

Initial connection fails as per below…
C:\>net view \\192.168.1.99
System error 5 has occurred.
Access is denied.

But if I map a drive using the admin account it works…
C:\>net use x: \\192.168.1.99\public /user:admin
Type the password for \\192.168.1.99\public:
The command completed successfully.

Now I can view the defined shares…
net view \\192.168.1.99
Shared resources at \\192.168.1.99
My Book Live Network Storage
Share name Type Used as Comment
Email Disk Email archive
Mark Disk
Public Disk X: Public Share
SmartWare Disk SmartWare
TimeMachineBackup Disk TimeMachine
The command completed successfully.

But then I cannot list any files, yet the browser UI shows I have 700+GB used storage in Public.
C:\>dir x:
Volume in drive X is Public
Volume Serial Number is F8B9-C5A0
Directory of X:
File Not Found

Any suggestions please?

Hi,

You could refer to the following link: How to Map Network Drive on Windows for WD My Cloud

Thanks, it is working now. I was very close before and I think the problem was I was trying to connect to the public share first, but the instructions specifically say to connect to a password protected share first, then the public share. Thanks for your help.