Twonky 6 is possible?

Hi all,

is possible to install Twonky server 6 on WDSahreSpace?

I have some problem to share my .mkv files, because on LAN i found  only a DLNA of Twonky 5 (.mkv not supported) or Configuration folder (is empty), i shared also download and public folder, but nothing to do…

The Blue Ray reader can read .mkv on my LAN.

Any ideas?

Thx

Bye 

Francesco

Even though is possible to update the Twonky version of this drive, this is not supported by WD. However, an update could be seen in the future if enough requests are supported; there’s actually an active Idea for an update. You could add your post and vote for it.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Network-Drive-Ideas/idb-p/network_ideas

i would love this update.

I cannot see MP4 files in my twonky server :frowning:

New firmware with twonky 6 for my Book must be released !

oxter wrote:

Even though is possible to update the Twonky version of this drive, this is not supported by WD. 

I realize it’s not supported and I’m cool with breaking my sharespace on my own… so could you post a guide on how to update the Twonky version?

jonnycat26 wrote:

oxter wrote:

Even though is possible to update the Twonky version of this drive, this is not supported by WD. 

I realize it’s not supported and I’m cool with breaking my sharespace on my own… so could you post a guide on how to update the Twonky version?

You’re asking a WD moderator to post a guide that goes against WD?

ThePizzaMatrix wrote:> > You’re asking a WD moderator to post a guide that goes against WD?

Uh, no.   They’ve admitted it’s possible but unsupported.   How’s that “against” WD?   Is the recovery guide that they posted (where you hook your HDs up to a linux box to recover data) “against” WD?  

jonnycat26 wrote:

ThePizzaMatrix wrote:> > You’re asking a WD moderator to post a guide that goes against WD?

Uh, no.   They’ve admitted it’s possible but unsupported.   How’s that “against” WD?   Is the recovery guide that they posted (where you hook your HDs up to a linux box to recover data) “against” WD?  

Awful example.

A WD staff member (Nathan_H) was the one who posted that guide, WD allows you to take out the drives from some of their external NAS drives for recovery and safe dismantling instructions are on the Sharespace manual. Upgrading Twonky on the other hand, involves changing default values and altering the default firmware and functions. WD has stated that it can even void the warranty. So a guide to update Twonky is something against WD and you should not ask a moderator to post it.

No, it’s not against WD, that’s why a WD staff member posted that guide, WD allows you to take out the drives from some of their external NAS drives for recovery. Upgrading Twonky on the other hand, involves changing default values and altering the default firmware and functions. WD has stated that it can even void the warranty. So a guide to update Twonky is something against WD and you should not ask a moderator to post it.

Right, so if I don’t give a flying fig about voiding my warranty, and I understand that doing so will void my warranty, why not show me how it’s possible.   Or, to be honest, the staff member should have never let that cat out of the bag.  Now that it’s out, of course people are going to want to know how to do it.

Again, I don’t care about voiding my warranty.   I’d just like twonky 6.  IF I bork my box, that’s fine with me.  

1 Like

jonnycat26 wrote:

No, it’s not against WD, that’s why a WD staff member posted that guide, WD allows you to take out the drives from some of their external NAS drives for recovery. Upgrading Twonky on the other hand, involves changing default values and altering the default firmware and functions. WD has stated that it can even void the warranty. So a guide to update Twonky is something against WD and you should not ask a moderator to post it.

Right, so if I don’t give a flying fig about voiding my warranty, and I understand that doing so will void my warranty, why not show me how it’s possible.   Or, to be honest, the staff member should have never let that cat out of the bag.  Now that it’s out, of course people are going to want to know how to do it.

Again, I don’t care about voiding my warranty.   I’d just like twonky 6.  IF I bork my box, that’s fine with me.  

Dude, get some common sense and a shot of reality. A WD staff member is NOT going to help you void your warranty even if you want to, it’s unethical.

The mod posted that because it’s a fact that it can be done. Try Google, there’s an unofficial firmware page for the MyBook World, I’m sure there is also one available for the Sharespace, or just wait for a user who has done it to post a guide, but a WD staff member is not going to do it.

ThePizzaMatrix wrote:

Dude, get some common sense and a shot of reality. A WD staff member is NOT going to help you void your warranty even if you want to, it’s unethical.

The mod posted that because it’s a fact that it can be done. Try Google, there’s an unofficial firmware page for the MyBook World, I’m sure there is also one available for the Sharespace, or just wait for a user who has done it to post a guide, but a WD staff member is not going to do it.

Fantastic, your opinion is noted.

However, I’ll just wait to hear from a mod.

jonnycat26, Western Digital will not provide information that could compromise, damage, alter or degrade a product, with or without your consent; specially when said information could prevent you from having access to any retail purchase benefit, such as the right for a Warranty Claim / RMA.

As previously noted by  oxter, your best (And only) chance to obtain Twonky 6 from Western Digital, is to open an Idea for future implementation if enough support, interest and feedback is provided by more users. The best place for this, is in the Ideas Exchange section. This way someone from WD will be sure to see it and will allow more users to vote for your idea.

However, I would first search and make sure that there are no other active Feature Requests suggesting the same or similar improvements. If there is, then you could add your post and vote on it.

Network Drive Ideas

Regards,