Transmission remote access over internet

okey, so i have my wd ex2 on one place. i want to remotely access it using a free host from no-ip.com. i got the dashboard online so i can connect to it from anywhere, but now i want to access transmission on this host aswell… transmission is running on port 9092. how do i do this? (the host is redirected from port 80 because my router already uses this port). hope someone can help :slight_smile:

Been trying to figure this out myself but without much luck.  All the posts I could find keep referring to port forwarding but without much explanation on how that is actually done.   Tried to follow them best I could but still repeatedly get ‘This webpage is not available’ when trying to access any of the apps.  Be highly interested in being able to access Transmission, amule, and Bittorrent sync remotely over the internet.  

Managed to also finally get this working.  You need to set up port forwarding for port 9092 to the local IP address of your NAS.  Check the Webdav thread for some of the different ways you can setup port forwarding based on your router (unfortunately it seems to vary hugely between different hardware manufactorers).  The issue I have now is that Transmission does not ask for a login and the configuration files don’t seem to be in the usual install location.  

hey, thanks for answer!

yeah i noticed… the config file always goes back to default on reboot. i think you have to store the conf file in the home folder of the user and make a link so it uses the config file in the home folder. there is some documentation for this on the internet for linux or something like that.

i have control over my nat port forwarding, and its good to hear you got this working. but it may have something to do with that i have pointed my wd ex2 to a port 80 redirected host on no-ip.com. without paying anything for it, so i may also have less possibilites with the host ?

and when the warranty goes off and the filesystem is very different, i dont want to be messing around in there with my low skills… :confused:

yeah, now we need to know how to set the login… i tested the ip adress and not the host now, and its working. 

or maybe it creates a passkey so you enter after you have logged in one time? some cookie thing or something

After some more messing around learnt how to add username and password.  Turns out the config file is doubly hidden but you can trick your NAS into replacing it with one of your own.  First of all turn offf transmission, create a shared folder called Nas_Prog and give yourself read / write permissions, then navigate to Nas_Prog / Transmission, usiing text editor (I recommend Notepad++) create a file settings.json copy and paste the following how the file should look (see  https://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15555),,) crucially make  sure to change “rpc-password” and   “rpc-username”, save the file, then in the web file browser move the  file to config subfolder which will make it overwrite the hidden existing one.  You can now restart transmission and it’ll prompt you for username and password. Wasted too much of my weekend trying to get basic functionality from this device so will try amule and others next weekend and post intructions if I can get them to work. 

Unfortunately I don’t have any experience with routing and hosts but hopefully someone else might. 

1 Like

hehe cheers ! alot helpfull what you say :slight_smile:

Yet again I spoke too soon.  As soon as you stop and restart transmission your customised config file is replaced along with the password.  Getting close to sending this NAS back and shelling out the extra for one that lets you have some form of actual control. 

For anyone else interested in having password protection for third-party apps I have created another idea suggestion, please upvote if you want to see this implemented -  http://community.wd.com/t5/Network-Product-Ideas/Ability-to-set-passwords-on-amule-and-transmission-and-any-other/idi-p/862661 .

1 Like

yeah im actually thinking the same. im thinking about sending this back and just use a usb 2.0 laptop and connect a 4tb harddrive to it if it works, or else i have a small barebone with a usb 3.0 port… saved money and much more possibilites…! :stuck_out_tongue:

btw the sollution was just to use normal dns hosting. so the host directs to the public ip of yours. not port 80 redirection because it only points the host to one port on your ip…

Glad you managed to get that sorted.

I know you were joking but I wouldn’t recommend using laptop / external combo if you plan to have it running all the time.  While the firmware and apps need some serious work the harddrives are at least built to be used in a NAS setting.  I have decided to buy a raspberry pi 2 and going to use it for running everything I can’t get to work on the NAS - plus there are a tone of additional programs I can get running on it that I imagine would be an absolute pain to get running on the NAS.

Hey, did you guys ever figure out how to access the transmission app remotely?

Yes, just read the firsts posts.

Get access to your device using a service like no-ip

Port forward your device port 9092 with your router

then you can access your transmission web interface

example:

http://“yourno-iphostname”:9092/transmission/web/

but it doesn’t asks for username/password so your transmission web interface is open to everybody !!

Hello,
while poking around trying to find solution for password protected RPC access, I found one interesting sentence:

Genrally the daemon writes its settings when it exits (or is restarted).

I have yet to try this.
Did you stop transmission before editing conf file?

Edit - confirmed, I have password-protected transmission now, rpc working