Time Machine couldn't complete the backup

I have installed a My Cloud Home Duo 2G into my home network. I can see MyCloud-XXXXXX in Finder/Locations and via WD Discovery. Time Machine can see MyCloud-XXXXXX.local and select this as the backup disk. However, the initial backup always fails after some time through the backup process with this error message:

Time Machine couldn’t complete the backup to “MyCloud-XXXXXX.local”.

I have done this via wifi and direct Ethernet cable between my MBP and the My Cloud Home Duo (i.e., using Internet Sharing/System Preferences).

Any suggestions? How do I use Disk Utility to repair the backup disk? Or should I return this My Cloud Home Duo for replacement?

Got the same problem, can anyone assist?

Having similar problem - Time Machine starts backup and stalls after 6.49gb of a 60gb backup. This happens repeatedly. Meanwhile, my wife’s MacBook Pro which was ALSO updated to Catalina is chugging along doing backups just fine…

so no help here?

Problem has gone away. I’ve been getting backups quite reliably toggling between the WD NAS and two Apple Time Machines.

This problem has gone away with a new Mac and fresh new install of Catalina. Could not solve this as initially faced. Sorry.