Time Machine cannot find my Cloud EX2 to use as a backup location

I have a new (2020) MyCloud Ex2 Ultra 8TB (4TBx2) connected to my router & I am setting it up the first time and wish to use this as a Time Machine backup location. I am using MAC Catalina 10.15.03, and the product number for the MyCloudEX2 is WDBVBZ0080JCH, with serial number WUBM30330999.

The MyCloudEX2 is seen in Finder, as are the shared directories defined by MyCloud and myself, and this includes the shared location TimeMachineBackup (automatically created by MyCloud).

My issue is that Time Machine does not show the MyCloud when I try to set it up on my Macbook Pro (2014). When I enter Time Machine preferences & choose ‘select back up disk’ it just shows ‘other airport time capsule’.

My configuration is Static IP address, MyCloud connected directly to the main home router, and the Mac accessing MyCloud over WiFi. In the MyCloud settings tab for the device, MAC Backups is set to on, Firmware is 2:31:204, and diagnostics box is shown as healthy.

I have read the manual, reviewed online several posts (here and on the MAC forums), but cannot find a solution posted in any forum so far.

Does anyone have any advice to help me get this working please?

Thanks,

Dave

This isn’t going to make you feel any better. I’m having similar issues having used my unit for a few years. It worked until Catalina, tried to reformat in APFS (had to do this with other backups), now shows up in Finder but not disk utility and doesn’t connect at all on TimeMachine. I reset factory settings, am now reformatting with WD. If this doesn’t work assuming disk utility now can “see” it, will try again reformatting. Problem is not know whom to turn to for advice. Not called WD or Apple. Best shot is Apple. If I have any success, I’ll post. Next step for this unit may be the trash can. Scans and checks show everything is working normally however, not doing anything to serve us.

Before reformatting you can try this: Fix "Time Machine Can't Find Backup Disk" for File Recovery

Good luck.

Before I saw this, I had started the refomatting, complete when I got up this AM. Amazingly, Time Machine now seems to be working, 4 hours remaining on a backup, about 120 GB done. I’m shocked. I saved the link. Thank you. I appreciate your taking the time to reply.