Thunderbolt G-RAID Degraded - drive(s) or enclosure/controller?

Hi.
Our Thunderbolt G-RAID is glowing red, and shows ‘Degraded’ as the status in the Configurator app. The enclosure has 2 newer WD Red 6TB drives in a RAID 1 configuration. The drives were just purchased in April 2020. The drive is used for daily backups and has 1.4TB used of 6TB total.

When we opened the front, the top drive’s indicator is red, the bottom blue. HOWEVER, when we switch the position of the actual HDs, it is still the top slot that is red, even with the other drive up there.

When we run Disk Utility’s First Aid on a single drive, the drive checks out as fine, with no issues. And the data appears to be fully accessible when browsing.

Also, when only a single drive is in the top slot, the indicator is now blue instead of red. It’s just that the top drive shows red when there are 2 drives in the enclosure (regardless of which drive it is).

Let me know what this could be and what actions should be taken. I’m cautious about doing a rebuild, as I don’t believe either of the drives are actually bad, and they both have mirrored data on them currently.

THANKS!

1 Like

I am having the same issue. Which leads me to think - is it the chassis instead of a drive? If so, is it possible to replace the chassis only? Have you had any progress on this problem. Thanks!

The direction we received from WD Support was to reconfigure the RAID in the G-RAID software. They didn’t think either the drives or the enclosure were bad.

We had already backed up the data as a safety precaution. So we proceeded to allow the RAID to be reconfigured/rebuilt. It appeared to assume the top drive was bad and just copy the contents of drive 2 to it, but not positive on that (we hadn’t erased that drive before beginning).

It took quite a few hours, but once done everything seems fine. We didn’t appear to lose any data from what I can tell. So it may have been a software glitch or something in the RAID configuration, not sure.

Hope this helps someone. Be sure to backup data first as a precaution before doing a reconfig/rebuild.

Thank you for the update. This sounds like the path I am on as well with WD tech support, hopefully. Individually, all the parts seems to work well, but something is off with the configuration. Thanks again for your help!

I have a >5 year old G-RAID TB2 with 12 TB where the cabinett stopped working, but disks are OK. Disk Utility doesn’t see enclosure, neither Data Rescure. Thunderbolt controllercon Mac sees the disk.

Mounted disks in a other G-RAID chassi and nothings is lost. :grin:

Our thunderbolt raid is glowing red, and shows degraded as the status in the configurator app.

paycheckrecords