G-Raid Thunderbolt RAID 1 - Red Light

Hi everyone - I have a G-Raid Thunderbolt 3 which I’ve had for a number of years. Everything was working fine and I have over 80K pictures within a RAID 1 setup. I wanted to ensure that the RAID setup was working properly so I opened the bays and tested each 4TB drive. Pictures were on both individual drives after I removed each drive. When I placed both back in to the dual drives, the G on the front turned red after it restarted. Opening the front door, one drive was blue and the other was red. I again switched the drives and then the other drive was blue and the previous blue drive turned red.

I’m assuming something went wrong with the G-Raid Thunderbolt compared to the drives but I’m not sure how to confirm. I tried using a configurator but doesn’t appear to find my thunderbolt. Any thoughts on how to proceed?

thanks

Just adding some additional color as I troubleshoot this more. When I place one hard drive into the top slot and leave the 2nd drive out of the bay, the data is available and the light is blue within the internal bay but of course the front G is red. I then switch out that hard drive and place the secondary hard drive into the top bay, the data is available, the light is again blue on the top for the individual drive but of course the G on the front is red. I then placed both drives back into the dual bay and the top light turns a constant red and the bottom light is blue(data still available) and front G is constant red. I then switch the drives again and the top bay remains a constant red with data available and bottom drive is blue with front G a constant red.

In a RAID 1 setup, given each drive eventually turns blue in the bottom slot after switching and the top slot is always red, does that mean the overall Thunderbolt 3 is not working properly and needs to be replaced and the hard drives should be fine? Or is it purely a rebuild that needs to take place. Any insight would be helpful.

Hi @prokoj ,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting: