There is no media in the current folder

So I uninstalled my AVG, Windows Defender, and Ad Aware and still the same message, I also reset the WDTV to facotry defaults and re did everything, trying the account I created “WDTVLIVE” with a password of “1234”.  I also added this user to the share and security of the folder I am trying to share, and just for fun I also added this user to the drive share to see if that could be the issue… and guess what… still nothing.  So I am really at the end of my rope, I thought it might be something simple I had just missed, but it truly appears to be something with this install of XP, so I might try a fresh install or upgrade to Windows 7, these seem to be the only answers left.

Here’s what I found with my set up, I have a Windows 2003/2008 domain setup with 3 Windows 7 workstations and one Windows XP workstation (running on VMWare) initially I had problems myself I could see all the servers and workstations on the network but when ever I would select one I would gett the “No Media found in the current folder” I tried everything, set up the WD Live in an appropriate workgroup, used Domain creds when selecting a server or worstation to view and I got NOTHING not even with media sharing turned on on one of my Windows 7 machines. What finally did the trick was taking the XP machine off the domain putting it and the WD Live in their own little workgroup together removing ALL passwords from the XP box including the Admin pass, setting the log on type to use the Windows Welcome screen. Created a share put nothing but the “Everyone” group with allow network users to modify this folder turned on, there is no need or even place to set security permissions now that all passwords have been removed. Tried to access the system from the WD Live and low and behold ther it was and the share showed up and even the folders I created under that share tried pics, music and video and everything works wonderously. Not sure if this all will help but there you have my scenario in a very large nutshell.

So to put an end to this epic thread, I have resolved my issue, and here is what I had to do.  First I upgraded my machine to Windows 7, but guess what still the same message, “There is no media in the current folder”… WTF!!!  So after cussing and swearing and going through everything again I changed the only thing that had not been changed yet, the WDTV Live, so I took it back and exchanged it, took it home, hooked it up and budda boom budda bing it all works now.  So I don’t fully understand how everything else worked and it would not connect to the XP/Windows seven box, but it all works now, so I am happy for the time being.

Big thanks to everyone who commented and helped out, I will be hanging around the boards on a regular basis now, so see you all soon.

After getting the no media message, I fiddled around with sharing with no success.  After walking away for a while, I came back and tried again and I could get to my photos.  A few days later, after another photo shoot, the problem came back for the new photos.  I went through every possible sharing on the PC, reset WD to factory, made sure WD had the latest software, did a System Restore for the PC to where WD worked, reset the router, checked ethernet, and still no success.  WD can see the folders, but won’t show what’s inside.   Am I at the point where I need to return the WD?

I’m answering my own problem.  Turns out WD, one day for some unknown reason, could not see photo files in the folder created by the Canon transfer software.  I can copy directly from my EOS camera, using it as a simple external flash memory - by-passing the transfer software.  It turns out I can copy all the photo files from the ‘Canon folder’ and paste into another folder and WD can read the files.  Strangely, if I drag photos from the ‘Canon folder’ and drop them into a new folder, WD won’t see them!  Not sure if WD has a problem or the Canon software.   At any rate, since I rename the ‘Canon folder’ anyway to suit how photos are classified, the extra effort is insignificant.

It’s likely that the Canon software is setting some kind of property bit on those images when it copies them to your hard drive (and dragging them, which is just moving them, retains that bit whereas copying them to essentially new files does not).  Or perhaps the Canon folder itself has that property set – if you right click on the folder (and do the same on one of the files) you can examine the properties and perhaps you can tell us what is different about them from folder/files that do work (because it might help others or even yourself in the future to understand the mechanism of these things).

Even if it is the Canon software setting some property, the Live shouldn’t have issues with that – so that might be something the WD folks would need to know to fix the unit (it’s far from perfect :>)