The Reason why your WD Cloud ain't getting no sleep and We Should Petition WD to fix!

Sheesh, come on WD. I guess the once a minute kind of makes sense, there’s a shell script called hd_standby.sh that seems to work by specifying minutes until standby as well. They do seem to also have a lot of redundancy including some dead code here and there. Now if I could only find out what they do that seems to peg the CPU every once in a while.

If you have any interest I’ll post my script with the recent enhancements I made, in the next couple days. It’s nice to have a script that actually keeps the NAS a bit cooler, whereas WD assumes you have their Red drives in there that can work up to aluminum melting points. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I get the impression that WD does not understand the Operating system. They are just interested in the code that they write. Which by viewing this forum. They don’t have a very good handle on there own code. As for the Red drive. They have so much confidence in it that they reduced the warranty by 33% when it is installed in a MY Cloud.

Please post your code. It is always interesting to see what other people are doing.

I’ve completely given up on the hope of having this product go to sleep appropriately. I do have my USB HDD set to sleep after a while and it does so successfully and predictably, but I just set drive sleep to “off” and let the WD MyCloud spin continuously, as the way it was waking and sleeping the disk every few minutes had me worried.

I’d be interested to have you post your script.

Thanks!

Hmm, I did post the script before, but my post isn’t listed anymore. It looks like maybe WD removed that post along with the Google Docs link to it?

EDIT: It is still posted, in the other thread:

That sounds like the twonky service that scans for new media. If you search on here there’s a thread that talks about how to change it from “all the time” to daily, weekly, or less.

I believe during my troubleshooting I tested disabling the twonky service via SSH with no luck. The drive would wake up very shortly after going to sleep almost every time. At times it would get a few hours sleep, but no more than that. This is my second unit as the first one finally went bad after a few years with a bad HDD.

Hello, I’m in contact with WD support about this drive sleep. Mine start sleeping and stop after a while. This is actually increasing the Load Cycle Count of the drive. I have just sent the LOGs required by them to analyse. Lets see what is the feedback.

1 Like

Good luck with that…

1 Like

Hi,
I want to set up a log program and trace the accesses to my cloud. My cloud doesn’t sleep as well and it makes too much noise while working at nights in a silent room.
So to track the issue, which software(s) should I use.
Regards,

I find my WDMycloud gen1 firmware version latest 4.05.00-342 cannot sleep even I turn off iTune server, NTP and media server. Would you have any detail SSH steps to make the function normal again?

Solved by following this post.

WD has no intention of fixing the sleep issue. In fact they created it deliberately. If your drive shuts down, how will they ever decipher what’s on it? “Oh, they don’t do that… that would be illegal, unethical and a violation of our privacy. That’s why there are laws, to protect us.” Time to wake up sheeple. There is no privacy. Never has been. EVERYTHING you have in your computer, every drive, every storage device, every thumb drive, every stick of memory, password protected or not, is already stored in gigantic data storage facilities unknown to you. Every email, phone call, every piece of data, everything that has ever passed over fiber optics has been recorded and stored since 2008 from every network in the world. Don’t believe me? You will… some day.