The Reason why your WD Cloud ain't getting no sleep and We Should Petition WD to fix!

Lets start a petition, add your name to this post to let WD know that you would like to see this problem fix.

So its 3:03AM in the morning as I stumble out of bed to head for the loo and as I pass by the bookshelf I noticed that the lights to my WD hard drive is on. A small surge of anger passes through me as I think about how WD never fixes the sleep problem  and how it was always the community that attempts to minimalize the problems instead of WD actually fixing it. 

It has been four years since I first bought the WD Live followed by the WD Cloud two years later; both had problems with the scans and both had problems with sleeping (WD never fixed these problems).

Yes it is 3:05AM and for those in the know, the CRON runs at 3AM to check for updates even though you have Updates off, the device still wakes up and checks for updates to tell you that you have an update available ignoring your request not to check for updates. I can hear the lead programmers say

Lead programmer: “Lets check for updates at 3am”,

2nd programmer “but what if the user turns updates off?”.  

Lead programmer: “Check for updates anyway and if the updates are turned off, we will just notify the user that an update is available.”

Meanwhile in another division another team is investigating why the WD Cloud doesn’t sleep.

Lead Analyst: “I have no idea why it is waking up at 3AM everyday”

Student Programmer: “I have turned all the option switches off”

Lead Analyst:“Lets remove all the variable time of 30, 20, 10 minutes from the options and set it at a fixed sleep time of 10 minutes”

Student Programmer:“Why 10 minutes?”

Lead Analyst:“Because it is the only setting that seems to work.” 

I am awake at 3:45AM and typing up this post

I have already turned CRON off completely; no check for updates, no backup of tmp log files and the deletion of logs thereafter, no running of scans, no indexing, no itune server. In other words, I have turned off every possible job and processes that I could recognize, short of deleting the OS, and still the device wakes up randomly.

I’ve determine that if you are connected to their server for Cloud acces, they will connect to your WD drive at random times for unknown reasons. Back about a year ago, when their Cloud server was having problems, at exactly 25 minutes intervals my WD Cloud drive would wake up according to my log. This problem went away the next day after I posted up my discoveries, not that I think that they (WD) thinks I was on to them but rather the server ping back was fixed the next day. It seems that their server do have the ability to ping your WD drive thus waking it up.

In fact right now I see internet activity on my WD drive even though I am not accessing the drive. 

Linux is your culprit

I am probably one of the most knowledgeable user of the WD OS,  short of the WD programmers. I have even re-wrote the monitorio.sh, which is the sleep monitor program that turns the blue light on or off. So I know all the reasons why my WD Cloud doesn’t sleep and I also know why WD isn’t fixing it; it is because nobody at WD knows how to stop linux from multitasking Even the fact that the logs are being written to causes the drive to wake up. WD tried to fix this by moving the logs to a Ramdrive. If you head over to the WD Live forum you can read about how the log files overflowed which also causes the WD Live not to sleep. So WD has been fighting this problem for a long time. You can see the overflow fix by the log files being archived by a cron job, so no log file ever grows larger then a certain size.

The problem is that linux is an operating system and not really a “Turn-key” system. An operating system means that the system have processes that runs concurently, where-as a real Turn-key system would simply turn on to operate and turn off without any other concurrent processes, something like your WD My Book which has a “Turn-key” boot up program that interfaces to a USB and nothing more.

Remember the problem where if you boot up the Cloud with the USB drive plugged in and the system locks? Yup, this is the problem where “simultaneous/concurrent” processes locks itself. The solution is to let the WD Cloud boot up until all the processes settles down before plugging in the USB drive.

If you “pull the plug” on an operating system, you can corrupt files by having partial files wirtten. Again this is where Linux as an operating system steps in. When it boots up, linux will do a checkdisk of your system and compare itself with logs of file activity; this is the white light… pull the plug on your Cloud too many times and your system may never return from the White light. Now the interesting part to this tidbit and the reason why it never returns from the white light is… (educated guess) that it finds an error and linux is waiting for a user input… “hit any key…”

The Elusive Sleep

Now one of the major reason that your WD Cloud is not sleeping is that “Sleep” has been implemented as a software solution instead of a hardware one. Compare to a real sleeping laptop where everything is powered down except a couple of hardware circuits that watches for network activity or keyboard activity before powering everything back on including the CPU and hard drive.

When you click on the option to allow your WD Cloud to sleep, what it actually does is set the standby.conf file in /etc to enable with a countdown timer of 10 minutes.

Monitorio is a continuous running script that picks up the countdown timer and begins counting down 10 minutes and monitors in an infinite loop checking every minute whether or not the hard drive has been accessed within the countdown; if it has been accessed the count is reset to 10 minutes.

When the countdown ends, it sends an hdparm hard drive park/power down command to your hard drive. The hard drive powers down but your CPU continues to work full speed. There are no hardware sleep here.

Now monitorio is waiting in a loop waiting for the hard drive to wake up. When it sees that the hard drive is awake, it takes the current time and subtracts it from when it went to sleep and logs it to your user file. Note Monitorio does not wake up the hard drive.

Monitorio then goes back into it main loop waiting for the 10 minute countdown to put the drive to sleep again.

A little interesting tidbit of a story here is back when we had this problem with the WD Live, WD removed the adjustable sleep option of 60 minutes, 30 minutes, 10 minutes and set it to only On or Off. It wasn’t until I bought the WD Cloud did I realize why they did this.

The WD Cloud has a weird flaw, put the hard drive to sleep and it will wake up in a few seconds at least once or twice after you issue the hdparm command before settling down for the long sleep.  If you set the countdown to 10 minutes, waking up once or twice within the hour will still ensure the drive will go to sleep after a couple of wake ups.

Woke at 3:45AM  to see my Cloud active! Again!!

So I woke up again and began typing for the last 2 hours.

It has been 4 years since the sleep issue was identified with the WD Live. Granted that there has been many changes in the software including Cloud access, but the general principles of the software has not change, like the incessant need to scan and index every media file that you have.

Although, as a programmer I can understand the problems that faces the WD programming team, making it difficult to change the very nature of an “Operating System”; i.e. cron jobs running, clean up tasks in the backbround, along with jobs that scan for media files to index them so that any Cloud access, DLNA or itunes will be quick and so on…

The WD Cloud OS is comparable to “Windows” where indexing is also a daily job as well as the other insidious Window Defender that grinds away at all hours of the night hunting down malware. Probably as a WD Programmer, they will all say “What do you expect? it is an Operating System?” 

However as an end user, I really don’t care that it is an “Operating System”, I would rather have it perform similar to a laptop, close the lid and it sleeps, open it and it functions. You do not see an “iPad” turn itself on (even for a moment) to run a job like indexing, do you? 

In 2010, I became a Mac user and one of the things that I noticed is that I don’t have programs that runs “willy-nilly” throughout the night to index, scan, window defend, etc. When I power down to sleep (real-sleep), my mac never wakes up to index itself in the middle of the night. 

Although it is great that my WD Cloud even gets a few hours of hard drive sleep but it is no-thanks to the WD Programming team since I spent well over half a year researching the forums and making my own changes to the device in order to even get a resemblance of sleep.

I think it is time that WD gets its’ act together and begin working on cleaning up linux if they insist on using an OS for their WD Cloud “Turn-key” system. It is either fixing linux so that it would actually mimic sleep or adding a hardware sleep mode to their WD products so it would be more like a lap-top product.

Why is sleep so important to me?

All my electronic products sleep when I ask them to sleep. None of them turns themselves on or at least I don’t see or hear them operating behind the scenes. For example, I don’t see my TV turn itself on to index tv shows, or my USB hard drive turn on un-expectedly. 

In fact, because of my WD Cloud Ownership, I am now powering all my computers PC and Mac off at night. This was when I thought they might be in-advertantly accessing the WD Cloud drive at night. When it became apparent that the WD Cloud was still powering up with no computers ON, I became suspicious that the WD servers were accessing the drive, so I even pulled the internet connection to no avail.

The WD Cloud continues to  turn itself on and off randomly throughout the night; hard drive clicking a few times. All the scan programs have been de-activated as well as the cron.

I hate whiners or complainers, so I said nothing and attempted to fix the problem myself; however I am disappointed that WD for the last 4 years did nothing to address this problem and they seem to continue in that direction as indicated by their firmware releases that doesn’t address the scans nor the sleep. 

Some Solutions

So I know it is linux and it is difficult to isolate one problem from another.

1. First of all, fix the scans so that they can be toggled on/off from the menus. Without the scans, the Cloud still works, so don’t make the error that turning off the media scan will turn off the cloud. Turning off the scans is the first step in allowing the device to sleep, especially that one line in monitorio that checks if there has been any major file changes and thus starting up the scans again. STOP ALL Scans. If you need thumbnails or some indexing, build the index or thumbnails on the fly when requested, not when the device is not in use. When the device is not in use DOES NOT mean that is an opportune time to run your indexes. 

2. Add a hard drive monitor program and display the hard drive access log to the user through the menu program to let them know who, what and why the hard drive is waking up. It could be a pc program or a router, or your WD server, but at least show where the source of the hard disk wakeup is coming from.

3. all cron jobs should run through either a menu selected time, or indiscreetly when the device is wakened or powered up, such as log copying, deletions etc.

4. the main fears for ALL users is that someone else is accessing the WD device especially when you are running your scans. So your logs displayed on the menu area should include network access activitiess, what ip is coming in to access the WD cloud, what files are access?

5. even if you don’t fix the scans, you should have logs to display on the menus that a scan was running between 2am and 4am and how many files were thumbnailed, indexed etc. Show us the log of activities instead of a black box that seems to be leaking secrets to the whole world with a public folder.

Summary

So it is 7am now and I’m heading back to bed. If possible, I would like to see a new firmware later on today that addresses these problems that have been outstanding for over 4 years.

If you need some help, call me, pay me and I’ll resolve all of this within a few months.

G’night

3 Likes

I also had the problem wiht the disk not sleeping.  After troubling shooting the problem for the last

few month.  I’ve found that on my system samba writes the /var/cacne/samba/browse.dat file every

12 minutes.  This file is on the raddisk filesystem but the /var/cache is on the disk.  So every time

it wrote to the file it had to update the access time for the inodes.

So my system would sleep then wake up every 100 seconds or so.  After further investigating

I found that samba was writing this file even when no changes were made.  Working with the samba people

they gave me a patch to fix the problem.  I’m currently testing the fix.  It seems to be working well.  When

I didn’t run samba my system would sleep for as long as 9 hours.  With this patch my system has been a sleep

sing 5:15pm it is not 7:00pm and it si still sleeping.

RAC

1 Like

Please post your Samba fix.  SMB is all I use.

Not sure how to post the fix.  It a recompile of samba.

RAC

Maybe pass the patch on to WD, or ask ‘the Samba people’ to talk to ‘the WD people’, or vice versa. Then, maybe a year or so from now, WD might get around to releasing a firmware upgrade with the patch…

Its not a firmware fix.  It is just a new samba_multicall file.  Once

I confirm that it is a valid fix.  The samba people are going to backport

the fix. 

RAC

If it’s anything that has to be loaded into the MC’s OS space, then it would be best distributed as an official WD firmware upgrade. If Samba revise their distribution, the only way most regular users will ever get the fix is if WD take the latest Samba release and incorporate it into a new firmware build. And they don’t have a good history of doing the as a matter of course, or voluntarily; witness the SSL vulnerability saga.

If it involves users SSHing into their MCs and using Linux admin or developer commands to get and install some setting file or code, then we’re into the problem of warranty violation.

Let’s try to get fixes made available for everyone, not just Linux expert users.

PS. Well done for pursuing the problem so thoroughly.

You should send your complaint to Western Digital and not write as if everyone has this problem.

My WD My Cloud 4TB goes into HDD Standby Mode. I don’t sit and watch it 24/7 but I do find it in Standby Mode often when I come back to use my desktop computer.

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

1 Like

I did send my complaint to WD a couple of times.  I talked to second level support.  They told me

that the disk was designed to run 24 hours a day.  So I should not be conserned  with the disk

running all the time.  I don’t sit and watch it 24/7.  All uou have to do is look at the blue light if the

disk is in standby the blue light fade in and out.  But if you look at the /var/log/user.log there

are entries telling you when the disk exited standby.  On my system it would wake up from standby

after 2 minutes every time.  So it would wakeup for 10 minutes and sleep for 2 minutes.  With

this fix it will sleep up to 9 hours before it wakes up again.

RAC

PS I don’t know how many people have this problem.  But there have been a lot of complaints

about disks not sleeping very much posted on this forum.

cat0w: You do have the same problems as all of us since you own the same device; the only difference is that you are happy that your device seems to operate slightly differently then from those who are encountering problems. The reasons for the difference may be in the amount of jpg, mp3 and other media files that you have, it may also be the difference in the total volume because I know when the drive was brand new before I loaded up 4tb of files, the device responded just fine. 

Just because your device operates fine doesn’t mean everybody else’s problems are “user” generated or from not reading the manual.

Sleep has always been a problem since the first WD live days and I know that from owning both devices WD Live and WD Cloud, personal experiences, personally studying all the WD linux scripts and from reading every single forum post since day one in order to find solutions.

This is an ongoing problem for well over a large number of years now and it is being justified as just the way the device works. As long as the problem isn’t a catostrophe, nobody will fix the problem and as it seems now according to rac8006 that WD support says that the disk is designed to run 24/7 and “that is and will be” the final answer;

One day the on/off sleep switch will be also taken away from us because the device is meant to run 24/7.

I have modified my drive so that it does sleep up to 6 or 7 hours at a time, however there are times when it wakes up every 2, 5, 10 secs and these are the times I wondered if I have been hacked or why WD doesn’t fix this.

When the iphone 4 had dropped calls, Steve Jobs says “You are holding your phone wrong!”

That is not an acceptable answer…

I’ve been a PC user since 1981 and when we finally switch to windows in early 90s, daily security updates, daily viral scans, run 24/7 because the PC was never meant to sleep. When I did put the PC to sleep, it would hang upon re-awakening or it would run fine for a few minutes then hang. We accepted the way it was. Today this is still true; we have norton antivirus running 24/7, indexing, Windows Defender and the most annoying one is when you open your laptop and it wants to do a windows update while you are on the road without internet access.

When I switched over to Mac in 2010, everything was quiet; the mac mini ran silent, it went to sleep at night and with a single keypress it was instant on, and it never had problems. I never had to run a viral scan, not because it was impervious to viruses but simply nobody wrote viruses for Macs. For over 5 years not a single virus and the Mac slept. Updates were easy and few but never daily That is the New norm… and that is how it should be.

My iPad never wakes up in the middle of the night to index . My Mac never wakes up in the middle of the night.

and I think it is about time that my “favorite” WD Cloud Drive sleeps through the night and I’m asking WD to re-consider their stance of “the drive is designed to run 24/7” to “this is the way it should be; a quiet and unobtrusive cloud”.

Rapheal

I think WD support said that the drive was designed to run 24/7 was to make me feel better about the way it was working.  It is what support people say sometimes when they don’t know how to fix the problem.  Unless you can reproduce the problem it is difficult to fix.  I spent almost three months looking into the problem.  I’m not aware that WD is saying that the drive is designed to run 24/7 is there final answer. I don’t think that they will take away the sleep because it is built into the disk firmware.  I will talk to WD support next week to see what they say.

I was told the problem I found with samba has been giving OEM’s problems for years.  Samba is going to make the fix official

in the near future once I verify that the problem is fixed.

I’m not sure how many people have this problem.  On my network I have three NAS devices.  The two My Cloud devices

are not the master.  So the other NAS device announces that it is the master every 12 minutes.  This caused the My Cloud

to update the browse.dat file even though nothing changed.

I still see times when the disk wakes up after 8 seconds.  But I have seen my disk sleep for 9 hours.

RAC

Currently not having a problem with the the My Cloud failing to go into sleep mode.

I do wonder hwoever if the problem is possibly related to the Twonky server constantly rescanning for new media. On the  http://wdmycloud:9000/#advanced page for the Twonky server the Rescan Interval defaults to -1. It further states that “-1 enables the server to watch content folders automatically for new content without the need for rescans.” Setting the value to 0 turns off the automatic scanning. Perhaps setting Rescan Interval to 20 or 30 minutes might work if the Twonky server is the cause of the non sleep issue. Or disable the automatic scanning or disable the Twonky server all together in the My Cloud and see if that solves the issue.

I have twonky disabled along with several of the other processes disabled.  My probelm was definetly samba.

To me twonky should only scan when files are added.  Thats the way minidlna works.  There may be other

issues that cause the sleep problem.  I probably should reenable all the services and see if it changes the

sleep pattern.

RAC

So I have all the major services (including twonky, itunes server, scans) disabled at the core level (not at the menu level) and I re-enable the cron yesterday night using

/etc/init.d/cron start

the user.log is at /var/log/user.log 

use 

cat /var/log/user.log 

to have it listed at your terminal

and here are my timings from 3:30 yesterday night after it cleaned up my logs and archiving all previous user.log info

May 3 03:30:10 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 887 (since 2015-05-03 03:15:18.598573001 -0700)
May 3 03:39:10 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 233 (since 2015-05-03 03:35:12.748573001 -0700)
May 3 03:45:10 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 53 (since 2015-05-03 03:44:12.818573001 -0700)
May 3 03:55:10 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 292 (since 2015-05-03 03:50:13.278573001 -0700)
May 3 04:02:10 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 112 (since 2015-05-03 04:00:13.308573001 -0700)
May 3 04:09:10 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 113 (since 2015-05-03 04:07:12.838573001 -0700)
May 3 04:15:10 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 53 (since 2015-05-03 04:14:12.878573001 -0700)
May 3 04:25:09 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 291 (since 2015-05-03 04:20:12.968573001 -0700)
May 3 04:35:09 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 292 (since 2015-05-03 04:30:12.448573001 -0700)
May 3 04:45:10 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 293 (since 2015-05-03 04:40:12.578573001 -0700)
May 3 04:55:10 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 292 (since 2015-05-03 04:50:13.258573001 -0700)
May 3 05:06:23 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 365 (since 2015-05-03 05:00:13.318573001 -0700)
May 3 05:15:10 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 219 (since 2015-05-03 05:11:26.588573001 -0700)
May 3 05:25:10 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 291 (since 2015-05-03 05:20:13.108573001 -0700)
May 3 05:39:10 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 533 (since 2015-05-03 05:30:12.608573001 -0700)
May 3 06:00:10 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 953 (since 2015-05-03 05:44:12.798573001 -0700)
May 3 06:13:25 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 487 (since 2015-05-03 06:05:13.328573001 -0700)
May 3 06:30:09 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 696 (since 2015-05-03 06:18:28.228573001 -0700)
May 3 06:40:10 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 293 (since 2015-05-03 06:35:12.568573001 -0700)
May 3 07:00:10 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 893 (since 2015-05-03 06:45:12.648573001 -0700)
May 3 07:25:10 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 1193 (since 2015-05-03 07:05:12.778573001 -0700)
May 3 07:35:10 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 292 (since 2015-05-03 07:30:12.968573001 -0700)
May 3 07:45:10 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 292 (since 2015-05-03 07:40:13.098573001 -0700)
May 3 07:55:10 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 293 (since 2015-05-03 07:50:12.828573001 -0700)
May 3 08:02:10 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 113 (since 2015-05-03 08:00:12.828573001 -0700)
May 3 08:09:10 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 112 (since 2015-05-03 08:07:13.348573001 -0700)
May 3 08:17:09 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 171 (since 2015-05-03 08:14:13.458573001 -0700)
May 3 08:30:10 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 473 (since 2015-05-03 08:22:12.498573001 -0700)
May 3 08:39:10 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 232 (since 2015-05-03 08:35:13.008573001 -0700)
May 3 08:45:09 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 51 (since 2015-05-03 08:44:13.068573001 -0700)
May 3 09:00:10 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 592 (since 2015-05-03 08:50:12.518573001 -0700)
May 3 09:30:10 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 1493 (since 2015-05-03 09:05:12.628573001 -0700)
May 3 09:40:10 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 293 (since 2015-05-03 09:35:12.848573001 -0700)
May 3 10:05:10 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 1192 (since 2015-05-03 09:45:12.918573001 -0700)
May 3 10:10:25 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 7 (since 2015-05-03 10:10:13.088573001 -0700)
May 3 10:17:10 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 97 (since 2015-05-03 10:15:28.218573001 -0700)
May 3 10:30:10 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 472 (since 2015-05-03 10:22:13.368573001 -0700)

I have my sleep timer set to 5 minutes and as you can see the average wake up time, remember those exit standby numbers are in seconds (with cron running) is between 53 seconds to 2,3,4,5 minutes to a max of 25 minutes.

The bottom line is the constant on/off cycle is more harmful to your drive then just leaving it on. I should have left the drive on before turning on the cron (jobs that are run to maintain your hard drive).

This is a problem that WD needs to address but it has been four years now with no major changes to the firmware that addresses this. Although I am relatively happy with the work-around that I am using with all services disabled and never upgrading my firmware, I still prefer that WD resolves this permanently so I don’t have to maintain my vigilance on the drive. 

Since I do use sleep, I check the logs everyday to ensure that it doesn’t sleep-wake cycle as bad as above. The above is pretty bad. The only other time I saw a sleep-cycle as bad as above was when the WD servers were having problems and you can see that the device was woken exactly 25 minutes throughout the night. Taking the device offline confirmed that the servers is one of the factors that were waking the device up. 

Ralphael

I’m not sure that you have the same problem that I have.  But a simple test is to stop samba with the following:

/etc/rc2.d/S20samba stop

Let it run for a few hours and see it the sleep time increase. 

RAC

I’ll add that to my stop list tonight before heading to bed.

Your problem may be more related with multiple NAS devices as well as a Window PC somewhere that may be broadcasting WINS.

The only device in my home that is still left on is (albeit suppose to be sleeping)  the WD Cloud;

My PC and Mac are off except my router, iPhone and iPad. Although I close my cloud app on both my Apple devices, there may be a ping from the WD Server to ensure connectivity. I am not surprise if that is a possibility.

I’ve added this post to Personal Cloud Ideas/New Ideas and at least it has the status of aknowledge which is good to know.

Go there and click on the up-arrow.

At minimal, if not a solid sleep through the night, I would like

1. a manual swtich at the menus to deactivate the scans

2. log of wake-up drive access; who what when, not all drive access but just the one that woke the drive up.

3. re-scheduling of cron jobs at user discretion or at least during the time when the drive is awake and not woken just to run cron jobs.

4. This non-sleep thing is all from the fears of someone hacking your drive; to see activity on your cloud drive in the middle of the night is disconcerting. Thus a log of all network activity would be nice displayed at the user menu on which of your users have accessed your drive.

5.  a log of the scan activities (if the scans are not user controllable). something to indicate the usage status of your drive rather then just a black box that with the click of the drive you can hear that someone is accessing your precious data.

Last words:

I love this tiny device that sits on my Bookshelf with a Reader Digest book cover and with the above few suggestion the device can and will become so much usable especially to those with tons of media files of which is the reason that we bought this WD Cloud for.

Alright rac8006, I’ve turned off SMB and got the following result:

May 3 13:27:54 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 915 (since 2015-05-03 13:12:34.068573001 -0700)
May 3 15:06:19 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 5598 (since 2015-05-03 13:32:56.898573001 -0700)

looks good… I’m connected via AFP right now… AFP is very robust but a tad slower for transfering files. 

I’ll let it sleep tonight for longer periods.

edited: 

here are my timing last night. Not much difference with or without SMB.

May 4 00:15:44 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 7 (since 2015-05-04 00:15:32.538573001 -0700)
May 4 00:55:56 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 1801 (since 2015-05-04 00:25:50.158573001 -0700)
May 4 02:50:33 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 6570 (since 2015-05-04 01:00:58.898573001 -0700)
May 4 03:05:17 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 577 (since 2015-05-04 02:55:35.698573001 -0700)
May 4 03:10:30 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 6 (since 2015-05-04 03:10:19.888573001 -0700)
May 4 06:13:22 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 10664 (since 2015-05-04 03:15:33.318573001 -0700)
May 4 06:33:09 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 879 (since 2015-05-04 06:18:25.558573001 -0700)
May 4 08:34:59 WDMyCloud logger: exit standby after 7002 (since 2015-05-04 06:38:12.408573001 -0700)

Hey there,
Have been reading this thread & many others relating to the device’s inability to power down, quite intently.
I too contacted WD today & received the story ‘this issue should be corrected in the next firmware update…in a couple of weeks’!
Given the date/time stamps on some of the articles I’ve read, I’m somewhat doubting what I was told.
That said, I did disable the Cloud Access in Settings, just above Energy Saver & it appears to have worked.
Have allowed the device to hibernate a couple of times & was able to wake it up by accessing the drive by both LAN & WiFi.
Hope this is of some help!

It will wakeup randomly even if you turn off everything. Latest fw of 4x series, gen1 device.
remount with noatime option, monitorio sync tweaks, - all known hacks were tested - had no luck to let the disk spindown for the whole night.