Syncing

I would like to knoe if I was to access a file when away from home on My cloud account.  Is there a way to sync and update the file on my pysical hard drive when I get home?

Thank you:smiley:

The My Cloud *IS* your physical hard drive.

Yes I understand that. But I copied my filed on my C drive to my “MY CLOUD” account folder.  So if I was to open the My cloud software on my computer will it update the files on my C drive on my home computer?

No, it doesn’t do that. If you edit the copy on your computer, the previous copy on the NAS doesn’t update automatically. Some sync software has to do this for you.

If the copy on the NAS is a backup copy, you can use backup software to keep these copies up to date.

If the copy on the NAS is an original copy for other computer, you will need third party software to sync the changes to the NAS and vice versa,

Windows offline folders in Windos “pro” version allow you to keep a local copy, for when the NAS is not accessible (which happens, just read some of these threads). But if the NAS is online, you access the NAS copy, not the offline copy.

Am about done with MC already.

I use a Esata drive with SmartSync Pro - does it better.

My cloud is unbearable slow and lacks so much helpfulness.

May be I just haven’t found solutions yet.

I just want to go back and finish, or sync folders to My Cloud content.

Seems very dumb so far, very painful to get initial folders set up (slow).

I have tried in the past to talk to WD, but they just refer to legalese about accepting outside ideas.

Don’t want liability of it.

I have years of experience with data storage systems, and this product tells me they need a LOT of help.

“Yes I understand that. But I copied my filed on my C drive to my “MY CLOUD” account folder.  So if I was to open the My cloud software on my computer will it update the files on my C drive on my home computer?”

If you copied a file to your MyCloud why would you want to keep an editable copy on your C drive? Putting a file on the MyCloud drive makes it accessible from your local LAN (your local PC etc) _ AND _ the internet (your phone etc).

If you want to keep a backup copy of the file (ie for archive purposes, not for editing) simply use a backup utility to back it up (FROM the MyCloud drive TO any other drive on your LAN - or even TO an internet drive service like Dropbox)… or simply copy it manually. But its purpose is a backup copy - not an editable copy.

Having the same file in two physical locations for editing is not the best way to go. Edit the one file stored in MyCloud (using a text editor or whatever on your PC … or an app on your phone etc) and then back the file up to other locations as needed.