My WDTV Live box successfully plays DVD and BluRay discs ripped using Handbrake to a USB drive. I have also been successful in displaying subtitles on DVD rips, using the ‘subtitle’ button on the remote. But I cannot get subtitles to display on Blu Ray rips, even though I’m using the exact same settings on the ‘subtitle’ tab in handbrake for both DVDs and BluRays.
The mkv files (from both DVD and BluRay) display subtitles in Video Lan (VLC) by using the Subtitle/Sub Track/(desired subtitle) feature. Note that I need my subtitles to be ‘soft’ (not burned in) for flexibility; my girlfriend is deaf and needs them, I prefer to disable them if she’s not watching.
Getting subtitles to work in Handbrake (for DVDs) was a piece of cake - simply ‘add’ them on the Subtitle tab. I add them without any further options / settings - that is, I add (eg) “1. English” and leave ‘forced only’, ‘burn in’, and ‘default’ unchecked. And this works beautifully for DVDs through WDTV (and BluRays through VLC) … but not for BRs played through WDTV …
Edit to add: When playing a BluRay rip on the WDTV, pressing the ‘subtitle’ button does display a mini-menu in the upper left corner, and pressing it again cycles through the various subtitles that are present in the source - “subtitle: Off”; “subtitle 1: English”, etc. And this list of possible subtitles does reflect exactly the number of subtitles I added in handbrake (I tested by adding all the subtitles on some movies).