Streaming music to WD TV Live Streaming

Hi. I have a WD TV Live Streaming media player. For years I have been watching videos without any problems. My videos are on a portable hard drive which I plug in to the media player. Until now I have not tried to use the “streaming” feature.

I have a Mac computer with the Mojave operating system and an up-to-date version of iTunes.

I would like to be able to stream my music from my iTunes folders to WD TV Live. For the life of me, I can’t figure out how to do this. I have spent countless and fruitless hours searching the Internet. I figure I must be missing something perfectly obvious. After all, it is a “media player,” right? And it is capable of streaming. So, it should be easy to find out how to stream audio and video files, I would have thought.

I enabled sharing of my audio files. I also enabled sharing in my iTunes preferences. My WD TV Live is connected to my wifi network. My computer is connected to the same network.

Can anyone provide me with a link that will guide me regarding what settings I need on my computer and on my WD TV Live?

I came across some articles that talked about enabling the iTunes server in the WD TV network settings. But I don’t have that option listed in my network settings.

Thanks.

David

Hi dgarmaise,

Yes, the WD TV Live Streaming Media Player device can be used for streaming music from a Mac computer. As per the user manual the device does support Mac OS Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion and Mavericks so it should work with the Mojave as well. For more information refer to the link below and look for Network Shares:

which came out in Sept 2018 … and the WDTV’s final update was in 2014 ?

if Mac has patched security issues like Windows 10 did with disabling SMB1 (Which the WDTV uses as it’s streaming protocol) … then i think it’s optimistic to assume it should work fine as well after 4 years of no updates.

David,
To get anywhere, you have to know where your iTunes library is stored; it is in a folder named iTunes Media on a PC and likely on a Mac in same name. folder. You may have to search the computer for this folder, note it’s path, because you will need to direct the WDTV to go there to find and play music.

You also need to enter the Music section of WDTV via the Network shares and NOT through Media servers area.

Appreciate it for all your efforts that you have put in this. very interesting info. now you watch live sports on GHD SPORTS APK