Getting started with OSX Mavericks and WDTVLive - new build - completely clueless

Hi all,

I’m just got an iMac with Mavericks and trying to set it up with the the WDTVLive. Can anyone help with a couple of questions? I’m errr… pretty new to media centres!

1. I’ve got a 1TB USB 3.0 external hard drive I want to permanently leave attached to the WDTVLive and transfer any content I download from my iMac to this. I have read if I format it as HFS+ non-journaled I can’t use My Media Library. What’s My Media Library good for? Is it a big loss?

2. I’ve heard Plex is good. Should I be setting my Mac up as a media player also and streaming content to my WDTVLive? Is this even possible? Is this completely stupid because they do the same thing? I also have an iPad and have heard Plex can stream to this which is why I am asking.

3. Just out of the box my Mac could recognize the WDTVLive under ‘Shared’ in Finder and could connect to it. But now the connection fails. I sign in as Guest because I am not aware of setting up any username/password. What has changed?

I’m read about the whole Mavericks/SMB issue will tackle that one separately.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi and welcome to the WD community.

The media library is the amount of media,(movies, pictures and music) you have on your drive the media library feature on the unit is used for easier access to your files on the drive by category without having to browse through the foilders.

Plex is a media server software that would let you stream media from your mac into a DLNA device on your network, since the WD TV Live works with DLNA it should be able to see the Plex media server that you have on your mac.

Regarding your third question, I would recommend checking the following link to see if this helps you out.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8538/session/L3RpbWUvMTQxNDUyNTY1My9zaWQvLU5rU1AqNW0%3D

1 Like