Streaming help!

I have done everything possible, followed ever tutorial from evryone that has given one and I’m grateful, thank you! 

However, I still cannot stream a movie or a music file from 4G cell network with VLC or Vidon with my iPhone. Everytime I connect to my external IP and select the file it says " Playback Failed"

If I open the My Cloud app on my iPhone 4G cell network I can select a music file and it will play however the movie files will not because the my cloud app cannot play them, I get the confused man screen.

These are MKV, MP3, and M4A files.

Any thoughts to get the movie files to play over cell network with VLC or Vidon?

Thanks!       :confounded:

From phone over 3g/4G you cannot, because the mycloud app on Iphone does not give the option to open in another app. However, if your FTP is setup you can ccess mycloud drive from other apps.

jamalaya wrote:

From phone over 3g/4G you cannot, because the mycloud app on Iphone does not give the option to open in another app. 

Sure it does.

…but the file does need to be downloaded first.

1 Like

it does not do it on my Iphone 5 3G.

Well … mystery of mystery… It does work.

All I did, is tried it again and it worked but I realised I was on wifi, then switched off wifi to try on 3G and it workd. I have been trying for 4 days since Monday to prove it. **bleep** … I am sure I have changed nothing. Ther was another guy who was also trying but it just won’t show it. Maybe a glitch. Here is screenshot I took minutes before it worked (eve on wifi):

Anyway here it goes it works.

minutes later same file :slight_smile: )

Mine says:

No Space Available

there isn’t enough room on your mobile device. Please clear some space and try again.

No matter what, I do not get the “Open in” option.  I am using an *avi file so maybe that makes a difference.

When you got the “Open in” link when using WiFi, are you sure you hadn’t downloaded the whole file first instead of streaming it?

SlimyPizza wrote:

No matter what, I do not get the “Open in” option.  I am using an *avi file so maybe that makes a difference.

When you got the “Open in” link when using WiFi, are you sure you hadn’t downloaded the whole file first instead of streaming it?

Yeah it looks like it is dependent on file format. It appears with mkv, but not with avi. No matter what I do. maybe a 3rd person can verify?

Well, it’s working for me for AVI files as well – remember – they have to be DOWNLOADED — you can’t stream with “Open With…” links.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Well, it’s working for me for AVI files as well – remember – they have to be DOWNLOADED — you can’t stream with “Open With…” links.

If you download yes. With  MKV I dont have to download to see the option.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

• *> * * *
      TonyPh12345 wrote:

I haven’t been able to stream mkv’s remotley…:cry:

jamalaya wrote:

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Are you on a local network or outside network? I haven’t been able to direct stream on an outside network at all!

jamalaya wrote:

TonyPh12345 wrote:

I do – it either has to be in cache or downloaded.   Even for fully supported files like M4V – Open With doesn’t appear as an option in the cloud view action button until the file is fully downloaded 

Try it again – go clear the cache in WD My Cloud app and see if “streaming” MKV files still works?

TonyPh12345 wrote:

I haven’t been able to stream mkv’s remotley…:cry:

You should be able to, I can stream mkv with VLC and Vidon and I can stream avi with them directly without downloading.  But AVI with myappcloud looks like you have to download which defeats the object of the drive. The whole idea of the drive is not to download anything. I think it is flaky software.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

jamalaya wrote:

TonyPh12345 wrote:

I do – it either has to be in cache or downloaded.   Even for fully supported files like M4V – Open With doesn’t appear as an option in the cloud view action button until the file is fully downloaded 

Try it again – go clear the cache in WD My Cloud app and see if “streaming” MKV files still works?

What size should my cache be set to in the My Cloud app?

TonyPh12345 wrote:

jamalaya wrote:

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Tony, you are the guru but I’m having no success. I’m on cell network and home network, I open the My Cloud app, select the drive, navigate to the file, click on it. and I get the:  No Space Available Error with the confused man screen?

RoldGold wrote: > What size should my cache be set to in the My Cloud app?

It needs to be at least as large as what you’re planning on downloading…

TonyPh12345 wrote:

RoldGold wrote: > What size should my cache be set to in the My Cloud app?

It needs to be at least as large as what you’re planning on downloading…

So basically there is no way to direct stream without downloading the file on an iPhone or iPad. You must either download the file or have enough storage space to play it?

My mkv files have question marks on them as well when I navigate to them with the my cloud app…

RoldGold wrote: > So basically there is no way to direct stream without downloading the file on an iPhone or iPad. You must either download the file or have enough storage space to play it?

You can only “stream” files that are natively playable by the device.   WD messed up with AVI, but M4V / MP4 streams fine regardless of your location (and of course assuming you have the bandwidth to do it.)