Storage space missing from My Cloud EX2

Hi,
I’m having some annoying issues wiith my 8TB My could EX2.
Recently, despite having ample free space, the drive starting acting as if it was full. The dasboard showed “Capacity: 0.00 MB free” in a simplified way (without the circular breakdown of file types) and it didn’t allow me to copy anything onto the drive.
The situation wouldn’t change even when I deleted stuff from the drive. Even after deleting 10GB worth of files, 1 second later I was not able to create a new folder on the drive, as windows told me there wasn’t enough free space.
I tried everything I could think of during the last few days, which involved running all possible checks and diagnostic available through the settings and finally got to a point where deleting my files actually freed up some space.

However, while the issue seems to be solved, there is one problem that bothers me now: It seems the NAS still “sees” all of the files that I deleted before. In windows explorer, the drive has around 7 TB of files now, but the WD dashboard says there’s 7.47 TB of movies on it and 300 GB of other files, leaving 180GB free. I ran a disk analyzer and it sees the disk as having 7.21TB total.

I’m not very tech-savvy, so I have no idea how to proceed here. Did anyone else encounter such issue with their NAS drive? Is there any way to solve it and retrieve the half of terabyte I lost in the process?
Thank you for any advice you can give
Kind Regards
Pete

I don’t use Windows nor have a machine to check, but any chance you might have the Recycle Bin function for any shares enabled? It appears to cache the deleted files for a certain time, default 30 days, so that might cause the discrepency between what Windows and the EX2 sees. There is a function under Settings > General > Services, to clear the files you have deleted, does that help? Otherwise, you might want to have a look in the System Logs and see if there are any warnings about disk space usage or some other errors that might give more clues, I suppose. I had this error only once, but I did a System Only restore and used a backup config file to fix it. Otherwise, let’s hope someone else has better suggestions instead.

2 Likes

Thanks for this almost 6 year tip! I’d gradually lost approx. 2TB on my MyCloudEX2 Ultra over the last 4 years and couldn’t find it via Win10, despite checking my Win10 Recycle Bin multiple times. Clicking the Services Recycle Bin “Clear” button restored the missing disk space! It’s really puzzling, since the default configuration is to auto-clear files out of the Recycle Bin after 30 days. Thanks again - you just bought me another couple of years with my NAS! :smile:

1 Like